Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
821 - 840 of 864 Posts

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 ·
Couple pics with a new-to-me Rebel XS and kit lens. Just messing around trying to figure out the whole DSLR thing.

Got the '90 F150 up and running. New battery, starter solenoid, water pump, and replaced a rotted hard brake line. Now she runs like a champ. Should have it registered in the next few weeks to use as a beater/work truck.

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
Kinda big update here. I ended up buying a 2013 VW Passat TDI SE 6-speed manual a few weeks ago to use as a daily driver. Thing's a boat but such a good car to have in the stable.

I took the Scoob off the road for the time being. Now she's a dedicated project/fun car I can go stupid with. :)

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
this vehicle is one of my personal faves. gooooooood stuff!
Thanks man!
Danny, how have you been man? havn't heard from you in a while.
I've been busy with work, skiing, and life this winter. Haven't had much time to work on the scoob. I started it up for the first time in a few months today. Going to pick up some RCE Tarmac 2's in an hour. :eek: Got a few other goodies in the works for this upcoming summer. Mostly just need wear items like tires and brakes etc.

You going to any shows this spring/summer? I can't wait to get the subaru back on the road right now.

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 ·

:D

RCE Tarmac II's
600 lb Hyperco front springs with
80/60/30 H&R front tender springs
500 lb Hyperco rear springs
20/60/80 rear tender springs
Vorshlag front and rear camber plates
Torrington bearings

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #832 ·
Wow nice pick-up, even the camber plates are super boss. Id be bolting them on right now! haha!
I finally got working on the car. Skiing took priority this winter.....but now it's spring!

I replaced the drivers front wheel bearing only to find that the passenger side is also bad....working on getting that knuckle out this week.

I got the new suspension on. It looks great. Still need to mess with ride height then get it aligned/corner weighted.

Before that, I need to order/install new brake pads and rotors as well as get new tires (likely 225/45/17 Bridgestone RE-11's). After all that, it'll be time to register the car and get it back on the road! I'll try to get some pictures up here soon.

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #833 ·
Got some goodies in the mail!

DBA 4000 T-slotted rotors
Hawk HPS pads
Grimmspeed master cylinder brace
Dunlop Direzza ZII's (225/45/17)

I got my 2nd front wheel bearing pressed in....just need to put the knuckle back on the car. I cannot wait to get this thing back on the road now that the weathers nice!

· Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
3,444 Posts
Havent been through your members jounral in a year or two! Looking good man! Do you by any chance know your IAT at the time of the final tune? My old tuner was given me crap for mine being too high. I was watching your tune video and was wondering why some tuners like to keep the hood open or closed or a big blower fan right on top of the IC. I had mine on a dynapack with the hood closed but with a big blower directly in front of it. I was not impressed with my numbers.

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #836 ·
I hope you'll get to an autocross sometime this year so I can see it really moving! And I hope when you do, you'll be wanting a co-driver for the event. ;-)
-N
It's getting closer to being roadworthy...gotta get over to the DMV in the next 2 weeks to get tags for it. Hopefully I'll be ready for some events in May.

Havent been through your members jounral in a year or two! Looking good man! Do you by any chance know your IAT at the time of the final tune? My old tuner was given me crap for mine being too high. I was watching your tune video and was wondering why some tuners like to keep the hood open or closed or a big blower fan right on top of the IC. I had mine on a dynapack with the hood closed but with a big blower directly in front of it. I was not impressed with my numbers.
A top mount intercooler run inside on a dyno with the hood down isn't going to have hardly any airflow so your IAT will be very high. Putting the blower right over the IC helps airflow and brings the temp down.

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #837 ·
Took all the brakes apart and found a stuck piston in the front left caliper. Was able to break it loose with a c-clamp, but I'm going to rebiuld both front calipers with new seals anyway while I'm in there. Just ordered the kit and need to pull the calipers off this week and start taking out the pistons and prep them for re-install.

Good procedure here FYI for rebuilding 4-pots: Subaru 4 pot Rebuild w/pics - NASIOC

· Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
3,444 Posts
A top mount intercooler run inside on a dyno with the hood down isn't going to have hardly any airflow so your IAT will be very high. Putting the blower right over the IC helps airflow and brings the temp down.
He was using a giantic blower with a dyna pack. His reason was to generate real or to close driving like scenarios as he was tuning. Mentioning that a blower on a top mount was tricking the system so you can tune for more ponies. his theory kind of made sense, but he really put mine on the conservative side. Im planning to take it to a cobb facility later down the line once i get my car bar'd. Heres the video of the tune, let me know what you think:

Took all the brakes apart and found a stuck piston in the front left caliper. Was able to break it loose with a c-clamp, but I'm going to rebiuld both front calipers with new seals anyway while I'm in there. Just ordered the kit and need to pull the calipers off this week and start taking out the pistons and prep them for re-install.

Good procedure here FYI for rebuilding 4-pots: Subaru 4 pot Rebuild w/pics - NASIOC
this is a good DIY! I had a difficult time pulling the pistons out even with oil or brake fluid in the caliper. I tried his method with no success and possibly damaging the lip on the piston. So instead i used compressed air to squeeze them out. Pep boys will do it for free. Easiest option. Good luck!

· I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
6,016 Posts
Glad to see you're still around Danny. You're a true RS25 OG, especially because you still have your car, despite the hardship you've seen through it. I have a lot of respect for you. :banana:

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
He was using a giantic blower with a dyna pack. His reason was to generate real or to close driving like scenarios as he was tuning. Mentioning that a blower on a top mount was tricking the system so you can tune for more ponies. his theory kind of made sense, but he really put mine on the conservative side. Im planning to take it to a cobb facility later down the line once i get my car bar'd. Heres the video of the tune, let me know what you think:

this is a good DIY! I had a difficult time pulling the pistons out even with oil or brake fluid in the caliper. I tried his method with no success and possibly damaging the lip on the piston. So instead i used compressed air to squeeze them out. Pep boys will do it for free. Easiest option. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips on the brakes. I'll start taking them apart tomorrow night. I'm no expert tuner...hope your next tune is more to your liking.

Glad to see you're still around Danny. You're a true RS25 OG, especially because you still have your car, despite the hardship you've seen through it. I have a lot of respect for you. :banana:
:lol: I wouldn't call myself an OG but I guess I have been around here for a while. Can't wait to start driving the scoob again....

821 - 840 of 864 Posts