Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Miatamiatamiata
5,471 Posts
It's been quite an experience. And I was ready for it to be over so I could actually drive the car.

Definitely spun a bearing. I'll be taking it apart over spring break next week. ECS supplied me with the motor.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f131/t128697-did-i-just-blow-up-my-turbo.html (gets more interesting farther in)
i've been following that thread.

it's too bad, you have a cool car, but i really want to side with the vendor in that thread (not that i'm siding against you), but the flame war came early and was definitely unprecedented.

i hope it gets back on the road soon, having your car down blows.

· Registered
Miatamiatamiata
5,471 Posts
I spoke with Paul at ECS this afternoon. I asked about towing the car back from ECS but found out that if I did that, that I would be charged the labor for the diagnosis and disassembly of the motor. This additional unforeseen cost has made me doing the rebuild not the cheaper route to getting the RS back on the road. So I left things with Paul that I would let him know when I was ready to proceed. ECS doing the rebuild seems to be the best path to take now.
i would take my car back.

you are not allowed to charge someone for an unagreed upon service.

you can take your car back and be fine, or you can see him in court.

there's plenty of lawyers who don't charge unless they win, and i'm willing to bet any of them would take this case.

· Registered
Miatamiatamiata
5,471 Posts
The machine shop the heads were at did not end up working out. They held the heads for some 6ish or so weeks without doing anything before Paul pulled them back. I've sent Paul info for another machine shop out in CA to ship the heads to for a CNC job. Spoke with the owner of the shop and it should be a 1-2 week turnaournd. However, with my luck, who knows...

Grrrrr....Now I think I'll be lucky to have the car back by November. No summer wheels/tires for the scoob this year I guess. :(

I'm hoping I'll have it back and running by my birthday at the end of November and ready for ski season though.
nothing works out in your life, does it?

· Registered
Miatamiatamiata
5,471 Posts
He was using a giantic blower with a dyna pack. His reason was to generate real or to close driving like scenarios as he was tuning. Mentioning that a blower on a top mount was tricking the system so you can tune for more ponies. his theory kind of made sense, but he really put mine on the conservative side. Im planning to take it to a cobb facility later down the line once i get my car bar'd. Heres the video of the tune, let me know what you think:
Ideally you would want to emulate the actual air flow under speed, and would need to tune with the hood shut and a blower that sped up with the dyno.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts