Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
So my car is a turbo'd RS. Do I need to have a coolant expansion tank on it??? Like what the WRX/STIs have always had? I'm more than happy without one and temps have been fine but it hasn't seen track time yet.
No just give your car a minute of light driving or idling after hard use before turning it off. The expansion tank is like the oem equivalent of a turbo timer, keeps coolant circulating so the turbo doesn't cook the oil.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
So I did some of the body work on Saturday. My crappy safety glasses allowed a metal shaving in my eye but this time I couldn't get it out. I had to go to the urgent care and now I can't see too well to finish it...

Anyways, I got a good start.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
So the other times I have fixed rust, I used bondo on bare metal like an idiot. This time should I just use primer and them bondo or should I seal the metal with something else first?

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
V6 style lip, fit ok:

SSRs and MPSS!

Lol, because race car

After a quick wipe down of the wheels (I messed up the clearcaot on the lip of one of the wheels by using a bit of brake parts cleaner :( )

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Ebay silicone rad hoses. I ordered Samco hoses from 2 different vendors but one said 7-8 weeks, the other said 3 months! No thanks I want hoses now plus for 45 bucks I can't go wrong lol.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
No a local guy Chewy. A friend found them on FB for me lol. I made an account for my car parts search only, but no groups accept my join request because I look fake.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

I get this flutter a lot. I have different springs I can run in my BOV but honestly it all works great. Not sure if it's a big deal; I'd like to keep it as is if I can. Sorry it's hard to hear.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
i cant hear it but assume you mean lift off flutter. its usually from too stiff off blowoff valve spring or too long off vac line to it. Its hard on the turbo bearings. some turbos handle it better than others

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
So the other times I have fixed rust, I used bondo on bare metal like an idiot. This time should I just use primer and them bondo or should I seal the metal with something else first?
Bondo is designed to be applied to bare metal. You can apply it over epoxy primer. Do NOT apply it over self etching primer.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
i cant hear it but assume you mean lift off flutter. its usually from too stiff off blowoff valve spring or too long off vac line to it. Its hard on the turbo bearings. some turbos handle it better than others
Maybe I can change it up then, I plan to use this turbo for a bit longer.

Bondo is designed to be applied to bare metal. You can apply it over epoxy primer. Do NOT apply it over self etching primer.
Thanks. I did it over primer this time, should be good but I've done it both ways before.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Forge BOV springs:

Green - 5-15 PSI
Yellow - 15-23 PSI
Blue - 23-30 PSI
Red 30 + PSI

Preeeeeeeetty sure he had the red spring in there lol. I boost 15PSI or less, sometimes spikes to close to 20. what spring should I run then?

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
So I forgot to show any of the body work. I cut out both rear wheel well corners, welded in metal, rolled the fenders, smoothed with bondo, and painted/clearcoated.

BY THE WAY THAT IS 24 DOLLARS OF CLEAR RUSTOLEUM CANS! Gotta love wetsanding your fingertips off and buffing and waxing until you don't have arms anymore.

I wanted more lightweightness so I got an Antigravity Lithium battery. Ok, so it weighs THREE POUNDS and I have been able to daily my car. I let it sit for a few days without using it, and when I go to start it I am suprised as it cranks the motor faster and starts up faster. This thing is ridiculous. Like I am blown away. It was 200 bucks. If you want to try them out go to: https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/

[/IMG]

Don't laugh at my last minute snorkus box I made, it is very secure and I did it in a hurry as I had lots of auto-x prep.

[/IMG]

Uhh, I guess I rearranged some stuff too.

[/IMG]

Next I need to wire the factory A/C button to turn on that fan when I sit at the track, as it does nothing right now.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts