Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

401 - 420 of 425 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
What are the clearest hid capsules available? I have a generic set but both capsules have grey powder / trash / particles inside and it may be affecting their clarity and color. If I have to get a more pricey set I'm down as long as they have no internal trash inside.

·
Registered
99 Civic Ex Taffeta White
11 Posts
@terbo559 - Do you mean, black lens headlights (smoked out) ? Or Black housing?

@2Slo4u - Ahhh. Well, salts within a bulb vary. For the most part, they should have started out as this color
Not all start out like this, but the majority of OEM bulbs start out with little off white opaque look salt crystals. When the bulbs begin to age, they turn darker grey. So, your bulbs are have already reached their limit, output has probably already decreased. In my opinion, if you are running a 35W ballast - I would scope out OEM Bulbs - Phillips 85122+ (they are disco, but great bulbs) , OSRAM 66040. On a 50W ballast I enjoy the GE 93035 (that is the OEM bulb, not the oem replacement..i forgot the numbers on that one). I have tried all three, the OSRAM seems to provide a little bit more width, but for the price....I found the GE's to be the best match on a 50W ballast. The philips and OSRAM run for under 100/pair BNIB.

·
Registered
06 WRX STi AW
290 Posts
I know this thread is a little old wondering if you guys used the Morimoto Mini's? And if so what kit did you go with?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started off with the Morimoto Mini H1 & Mini D2S kit (4 years back) and I've used the FX-R 1.0, 2.0. They are pretty good...much better than any eBay headlight projectors, but they aren't as good as OEM (Honda/Acura/Lexus) Projectors (Although they have gotten better) . The s2000, TSX, TL, LS430/460(Those are the most beloved projectors). OEM ones have a really good output, throwout and width. MY brother and I have spent so much money in projectors, bulbs and ballasts, it is just stupid...BUt, we did it just to learn the best combos. Get oem bulbs as well. GE,Osram, Philips....it makes a big diff. I would have to say Morimoto ballasts and wiring harnesses are very nice. Let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
98 RBP RS
273 Posts
So what is the consensus...is going Morimoto the best way because its nearly plug and play, gives good output, and the gains from going with a full tsx swap isn't worth the effort?

·
Registered
'98 L Coupe
116 Posts
the morimoto is the easiest way to go about getting projected hid headlights, but not the best. if you've got the funds or the skills, go oem projectors w/ oem hid system.
ps: if any of you guys are in the Bay Area, hit me up and i can give you pointers, or help with your install. i have an oven dedicated to heating up and taking apart housings.

·
Registered
06 WRX STi AW
290 Posts
I went with the Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (d2s) route the way I looked at it anything is better than oem halogens right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what is the consensus...is going Morimoto the best way because its nearly plug and play, gives good output, and the gains from going with a full tsx swap isn't worth the effort?
For an easy retrofit, yes the Morimoto is the way to go. It will perform far better than your OEM Halogens. But, TSX projectors will out perform the Morimotos... the cars I have worked on....went from Morimoto's to either RX350 or TL,TSX projectors. It does require more work and planning though.

·
Registered
2001 AW Coupe
223 Posts
The price of the morimoto really isn't much less than having someone do an OEM conversion for you. I love my morimotos but next time I'd just drop the extra hundred bucks on a swap from someone.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
Morimoto are the easiest to if you want to retrofit. It's also very easy. Anyone can do it, just need a home oven.

·
Registered
2000 White RS
726 Posts
I have the mini h1 kit. Install was pretty straight forward. The only issue I have is only one bulb turning on when initially turning on headlights. I have to twist the lever to off and back on to get both to fire on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If anyone can answer this that would be awesome!

I have been trying to search, but have not found anything.

If I were to do the Mini H1. Do you still use the adjustment screw to align the beam pattern?

401 - 420 of 425 Posts