Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

381 - 400 of 425 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
In those pics, you can see the patchy type discoloration I was mentioning. There is a yellow tint in some areas especially on the center where the beams meet. I have a set of the aftermarket impreza headlights with built in projectors and the beams of these "morimoto" ones remind me of the same. I thought these things would have a better pattern than our oems, not just a cutoff line.

·
Registered
06 WRX STi AW
290 Posts
I've got an extra set of 06 sti head lights laying around do you guys think I can do a retrofit using the sti projects, bulbs and ballast?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The retrofits are designed for easy fit in existing housings, putting the projector from the 06 headlights in would probably involve cutting and way more work.

How much could you sell them for vs the cost of the easy retrofit kit?

·
Registered
06 WRX STi AW
290 Posts
The retrofits are designed for easy fit in existing housings, putting the projector from the 06 headlights in would probably involve cutting and way more work.

How much could you sell them for vs the cost of the easy retrofit kit?
yea kind of makes sense.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Wouldn't the oem projectors have a better beam pattern than these morimotos, even though you would have to cut? It wasn't long ago that using the morimotos you have to cut and install was all the rage, now they (morimoto/whoever actually makes the projectors) figured out putting a threaded section and using bulb base adapter washers is the ticket. I have a set I'm planning to install but after testing the hid bulbs in the projectors I'm debating selling them. The light pattern is like the all in one cheap projector headlamps I tried a while back.

·
Registered
2000 White RS
726 Posts
Wouldn't the oem projectors have a better beam pattern than these morimotos, even though you would have to cut? It wasn't long ago that using the morimotos you have to cut and install was all the rage, now they (morimoto/whoever actually makes the projectors) figured out putting a threaded section and using bulb base adapter washers is the ticket. I have a set I'm planning to install but after testing the hid bulbs in the projectors I'm debating selling them. The light pattern is like the all in one cheap projector headlamps I tried a while back.
No oem would not have a better beam pattern.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
No oem would not have a better beam pattern.
So you're saying the oem subaru projector has a worse beam pattern than a chinese made aftermarket projector?

·
Registered
99 Civic Ex Taffeta White
11 Posts
I've done several retrofits, none on a GM.GC, but I have done it on a 99 Civic (4 times ) where I have gone through, Morimoto H1's, Morimoto D2s, FX-R's and I now have the TL with ZKW Clears lenses, Matsushita GEN IV ballast and GE 4200k bulbs. I will have to say that, the TL's have a better output, in terms of throw and width.....vs the Morimotos. They are decent projectors, but, I would have to say OEM or bust. The STi projectors are not the best projectors, fairly moderate, but the TSX (Singe Xenon), TL ( Bi - Xenon ), S2000 projectors, RX330 or RX 350's. I would have to say they are the best line up for anyone, unless you have dough for the LS430.460 projectors. I have also retrofitted an JDM Type R front end headlights with TSX projectors, along with a USDM 94 Integra with TSX's, and worked on a 93 325i, retrofitting a Morimoto D2s, and now running and FX-R with OSRAM SVS bulbs. Needless to say, every projector has its own width and throw, some have more ground output (Morimoto, FX-R and TSX) do not have a foreground limiter, where the TL does (other projectors do as well i just can't think of them)... You can fit a TL projector into a RS headlight but, it will require more cutting, it's not hard at all.... you jut cut a rectangular slit where the Bi-xenon solenoid...would drop in....when retotriffitng remember, you need them to mount straight as possible, following the guide on the headlight lens optics, (circular or square on the lens itself) because you can only adjust Horizontal and Vertical not tilted axis......there are a lot of variables...fluted and non fluted projectors as well....If you have any questions, I can try to answer and questions to the best of my retrofitting knowledge.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
I'm waiting on another set of bulbs from the seller, wondering if they could be defective but odds are they aren't. The beam pattern just seems patchy/splotchy. Seems like just a magnified image of what the bulbs look like, which is crappy. :lol: Maybe the light output will be marvelous when in the housings and outside hitting the road, but when I'm testing them inside they seem weaksauce and not very bright. I remember my cheapo aftermarket projector headlamps being pretty intense even though they didn't have a great cutoff.

·
Registered
2000 WRX STI Type-RA Limited
687 Posts
I installed the morimoto D2S kit a while back, while it is a lot better than hid in stock housings I am a bit disappointed in the light output. Also my highbeams get stuck on sometimes... I have verfied that the wiring is correct and the solenoids are working. I emailed TRS about it and they suggested check the cutoff shield for bends. TRS was very helpful, but I really wish I didn't have to pull my headlights apart again...

·
Registered
11 Posts
@2slo4u - Which bulbs did you order? I bought OEM GE Bulbs from eBay just recently for 13 bucks shipped, the seller still has more...if you are interested, PM me. I recommend running it on a 50W ballast though. I've ran it on my oem matsushita ballast 35W, and the output was 'decent'. I did read that the GE bulbs had the best results on a 50W ballast any who...so I put it to the test. Lol. To say the least, there was an exceptional difference in output on a 50W Morimoto Ballast. I used to run the Philips 85122+ (another OEM bulb/ Replacement) and the Osram 66040 (OEM Replacements) & had fantastic results running a 35W ballast. The best bulb out of the three would be the Osram, the beam was more intense all around, and it did shoot out wider than the other bulbs. The BEST that I have personally had experience with, would be the Osram SVS...I cannot even explain how much light that sob provides. Lol....... I did notice you said something about yellow splotches? You may want to clean the glass lens, I am not aware of the type of lens it is (Fluted or clear) so that kind of puts output into perspective, because fluted helps reduce glare, which reduces output. My TL's were fluted, they were bright, but once I dropped a clear lens, there was far more light output.

@DunDunSKeert - The D2S and H1 kit are known to have sticking issues, you are supposed to open up the solenoid clean them out, make sure everything is straight and lube it up, I personally used some silicone lube and I did not have an issue while I was running the MM Projectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The lens on the car does matter, I have had the best results on a completely clear lens. None of the squares and lines going across, although those are sandable.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 OBS
646 Posts
So im planning on doing a retrofit, but how do I know if the projector and shroud will work? Are they all a standard 3" projector? Also, I have a Hella 6000k HID kit already, can I just mont these HID bulbs in the new projector housing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You first want to find the dimensions of the projector that you want to get. Not every projector lens is 3", there are some that are 2.5", 2.25" & 2.75", you really want figure out the exact dimensions, LxWxH. Which is listed on hidplanet. I have never worked on a GC headlight, so I would first measure total length, and see how far the bulb holder will extend to....saying if there is a power steering pump, windshield washing fluid, abs module...etc etc...figure out engine bay room n how much play you have. You really want to get close to the headlight glass..but not too close. Try to line up the center of the projector..marked on the lens...you'll see an indiscriminate mark somewhere in the middle. If not, you'll have to measure the middle of the lens and match it up the optic portion on the headlight lens...might be a square...circle...some sort of marking. You can re-use the ballast, but not the bulbs. OEM projectors (modern ones) utilize D2S & D4S (no mercury bulbs). If you have any more questions feel free to hit up my inbox!

381 - 400 of 425 Posts