Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DWAFTW
03 Silver WRX Wagon
10,140 Posts
No doubt the greatest generation this country has ever seen. Never has more been asked of the people. I've read quite a few books on D-Day as well as WWII in general, and the stories are absolutely amazing. I often ask myself if I could do what some of those guys did if I was faced with the same obstacles.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,850 Posts
oldhat said:
Much respect to the veterans. The Greatest Generation indeed.
+1

Both of my grandfathers were there. They were all great men.

Chris

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
my grandfather was a part of this was too...just in a different fashion..he was a radio tech on the B-17's dropping shittons of bombs all over the place. got shot at...but not down.

ian, i too have wondered if i would have been anything close to the men that fought in that war. i like to think that i would, but...unless i rejoin the military...i suppose i'll never know.

i've seen the post war side of this picture, back in '91 i think, when my pops was stationed over in germany. it's a really eery place. the gun turrets the germans used to spray the americans are still there. the beaches were littered with remnants of the wooden boat blockers. i didn't really care at the time that i was standing on a beach where so many men died, but now, having served in the military, i cherish the fact that i stood in the same place as so many brave men that lost their lives.

·
DWAFTW
03 Silver WRX Wagon
10,140 Posts
I envy you for actually gettin to go. That is one of the top things on my list to do before I die...visit Normandy and take a tour of every major battle field/city in the ETO.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Yea, my pap was also in WWII. Part of the American division that went furthest east... I think it was the 76th infantry, but don't quote me on it. We keep his medals and badges in a fancy wooden box in the spare bedroom. Actually it would have been his birthday just a few days ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A generation forgotten.. Our memory's are so short. I remember my brothers and uncles going off to war (i was too young). As a 10 year old then all school kids would go around the neiborhood and gather metal to support the war. In school we'd buy victory stamps till we had enough stamps to get a savinga bond.
Everyone was issued a ration book. If you had a car it eather had a "A" or "C" sticker in the window. "A" would get you 10 gals of gas a week. "C" 20 gals a week.
After 1941 you couldn't buy a new car, and tires, forget it. Only used ones.
Now there's a new generation. A gereration who has taken all the freedoms given them and are doing there best to destroy everything the past generations fought and died for. There claim to fame is times have changed and and we were stupid for what we did.
Everyone who wasn't drafted joined the military. Sport figures, Movie stars,town drunks, kids fresh out of school, everyone. We had PRIDE, HONOR, and RESPECT for our country and troops. We prayed in schools, we believed in God, didn't kill our unborn children, didn't believe in same sex marriage.
First, we survived being born to mothers who ate bacon and/or drank milk while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from the can, and didn’t get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick-up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from a hose and not from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this. We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren’t overweight because we were always outside playing!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day, and we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo’s, X-boxes, no video games at all, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms…. we had friends, and went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were giving BB guns for out 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
We had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lived for our own good.
"D" Day was a exciting time for everyone. It was the beginning of the end.

·
Registered
06 WRBP Limited WRX
190 Posts
I just saw this thread today, 3 days after, but I still paid hommage to those who served on the 6th. Mel, if you wrote that yourself and believe in it, Kudos to you. A lot of the points you brought up are things long forgotten or never known, but one can hope we may see again.

My grandfather fought in that war, not in Europe, but in the Pacific Theatre, he joined when he was 16. He went on to become a 2 star brigadier general, a long life of military indeed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
BluRdgPerlRS said:
I just saw this thread today, 3 days after, but I still paid hommage to those who served on the 6th. Mel, if you wrote that yourself and believe in it, Kudos to you. A lot of the points you brought up are things long forgotten or never known, but one can hope we may see again.

My grandfather fought in that war, not in Europe, but in the Pacific Theatre, he joined when he was 16. He went on to become a 2 star brigadier general, a long life of military indeed.
Oh I wrote it and lived it and believe it. I also served 3 years in Korea and 3 in Vietnam. Why? Because I believed in my country and what our founding fathers created. Now I see it going down the tube. The only way you'll see it again is for this country to have a major attitude change. No body gives a shit anymore, and blame the government for everything. The people of this country need to take back our country. Those that can't accept it, there's one freedom they forgot. The freedom to leave if they don't like it.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,850 Posts
where are my glasses said:
My grandfather survived the ally invasion on D-Day. It is a day that will never be forgotten.
You make it sound like he was on the other side.

·
Registered
07 WRB WRX
109 Posts
words cant describe that picture, Or what the men were thinking when their eyes opened to such a sight. I believe the words on the great James May come into play here "Oh Cock". They overcame the challenge, their brothers perished infront and all around them, and they still overcame it. It makes me wonder sometimes if It is still like that today. God Bless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
shockey` said:
words cant describe that picture, Or what the men were thinking when their eyes opened to such a sight. I believe the words on the great James May come into play here "Oh Cock". They overcame the challenge, their brothers perished infront and all around them, and they still overcame it. It makes me wonder sometimes if It is still like that today. God Bless.
You wanna know something? I wasn't on that landing but I can relate to what they felt. There were times I'd shit my pants I was so scared. I can remember praying to make it just one more day.
When your talking to your buddy and he don't answer and you turn to him to see why and he has no head, you get sick and vomit.
Freedom comes with a price.
Right now we have a nut thats building a nuke weapon. He has the missles to deliver them, justs needs to finish up his project. Should we attact him? No, We need another Pearl Harbor. The United States has lost it's will to fight for it's freedom. We think if we leave these people that hate us so much alone they won't take down another twin towers or hurt us. There only goal in life is to kill infidels. Well they attact us? You can bet on it. Why? because we something the"ll never have, freedom.
This generation has forgotten what it cost for there freedom and think they have a better way to control the nut cases of the world. They believe by doing nothing we'll be OK. Well we did nothing when Hitler was on the rampage in Europe or Japan was taking over the far east. We did nothing till Japan attacted us in Pearl Harbor. We didn't lose as many lives there as we did in NY at the Twin Towers, and we've lost less than 10% of the troops we lost in WW2.
Freedom costs.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It wasn't even that long ago in relative terms but things were so different. I just liked the mentality of the country at the time. It is nicer now in that losing that many troops is absolutely unacceptable but war seemed to be more fair, people followed the rules (as loose as war time rules are) and it just seemed more decent in the states.

It's kinda crazy learning about everything or seeing it in movies (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers) and these people were in their 20s for the most part and just farmers or factory workers. The stories are borderline unbelievable they are so amazing yet you know for a fact that it happened.

·
DWAFTW
03 Silver WRX Wagon
10,140 Posts
Wally Kincaid said:
It wasn't even that long ago in relative terms but things were so different. I just liked the mentality of the country at the time. It is nicer now in that losing that many troops is absolutely unacceptable but war seemed to be more fair, people followed the rules (as loose as war time rules are) and it just seemed more decent in the states.

It's kinda crazy learning about everything or seeing it in movies (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers) and these people were in their 20s for the most part and just farmers or factory workers. The stories are borderline unbelievable they are so amazing yet you know for a fact that it happened.

actually alot of the early to mid 20 year olds were considered the "old men" of the their squad, platoon, company, etc. Alot of them were 16-19, but mostly in the 18-20 range.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Trypticon said:
Nice thread to suggest such a thing.
It's the only thing that will get the American people to pull there head out of the sand. Most of the younger generation thinks if we didn't start the war everything would have been OK, and these people that hate us so much would have left us alone. Until we have them walking our streets with bombs strapped on blowing up innocent people or planting bombs alongside roads killing people as they travel around the country the American public won't accept the fact that these people want all us dead. Why? Cause were non-belivers. That is most of us. But then maybe your a believer. Do you think they mean us no harm and there only fighting us cause were in the land? If you have no concern about what there doing around the world then your eather brain dead or 1 of them. There trying to conquer the world and all non-believers will be killed, even there own blood. There in almost every country and every contry is worried about them.
Were sitting around thinking how to get "In God we trust" removed from our currency, making sure prayer is removed from schools, trying to figure how to impeach the President, singing our National Anthem in Spanish or better yep killing our unborn children. Yep, we've come along way. Yea, were #3 in industry, #5-6 in education, 4th in the medical field, but the good news is were #1 in the number of people in prison. In fact we have more people in prison than all the rest of the world combined. Were #1 in killing unborn children. Over 2,ooo,ooo a year. #1 in fuel use, #1 in debt and the list goes on.
What will change the American people thinking? A wakeup call, another Pearl Harbor, But then some will say we had it coming.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts