Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on going for a turbo setup, on my 2000 RS. A friend of mine recently wrecked his WRX engine and he is replacing it for a completely new one.

My firend did not crash his car, he just broke the motor (the block got craked and fried a piston), and he got a new one. He is keeping everything else, the only thing he got out was the engine with all its components.

I was thinking that maibe I could get his engine, and get everything I need from it so that i can turbo mine, this are the parts that come to my mind right now:

WRX Turbo
WRX intercooler
WRX crossmember (This i am going to buy)
WRX uppipe

I dont know about anything else, can you guys point me out and tell me what I am going to need to do this??

Also, I wanted to know, if I get this setup, what kind of engine management would I need to make it work safely?

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
What year is the WRX? I'm assuming 2002-2003?

I'm no turbo expert, but from what I've heard the WRX exhaust manifold should fit onto our car, so that should help you out. You'll definitely need to change the (wastegate or maybe BOV I think?) so that the WRX's turbo isn't boosting a full 12-14psi, that would kill your motor quick. For engine management, get the best you can afford, that is what keeps your motor alive and prevents overboost / detonation / etc... You'll probably need to upgrade your fuel system too, new fuel rail is a good idea, along with upgraded pump & injectors, or at least a fuel pressure upgrade (RFPRR or something?)

This is by no means a complete list, just a few things you shouldn't overlook. And don't upgrade your clutch anytime soon, save your tranny & just let it slip a little...

Good luck,
-scott-

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
This is how I saw it when I was shopping for engine management: (1) J&S Ultrasafeguard+the dual meter from J&S+a RRFPR (2)Link2 ECU. I was originally going with number 1, but then I got a phat tax return and decided to go with the Link, which is about $500 more then option 1, but theres way more functionality. Fuel rails probably wont be necessary for the low boost levels you'll be running. You can shop around and find a Walbro fuel pump for around $100. As for controlling the boost level on a stock WRX turbo, read this: http://www.rs25.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7265 .

·
Registered
1999 RS Coupe Aspen White
313 Posts
Misael,

Are you still lost on what is left to turbo your car using wrx components? Or is this an old thread and you got all your answers on Nasioc?

Kevin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nop, thios is just an old thread, but there is something I am not really sure about still, is about the wastegate on the turbo I am going to be using, wich is a tdo5 12b from a Volvo, I dont know how many psi does it push but I have to drop whate eveer iot pushes, to around 4-6 psi, I am not clear oin the idea of using washers.

I already have an HKS EBC, do I need to put washers on the wastegate or will the boost controller be able to lower the psi?

·
Registered
313 Posts
i don't know what the turbo you are referring to looks like but what you can do to reduce the PSI and make the spring softer so it can be more sensitive and open the wastegate at a lower psi is see if the actuator arm has a nut on it.

What you can do is basically turn the nut counterclockwise...1 turn being 1psi.

Maybe this will help...

Kevin

·
Registered
313 Posts
you are correct, that is the purpose of it...sorry man my mind is not clear sometimes....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts