Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Scion XB
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting for a friend. He is going turbo and does not need it. It is made of carbonfiber and a composite divinicell foam. 40+ Hours labor went into it and it works with 00 and 01 2.5 RS. He is taking offers.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
that's really cool. where is the filter? how much room does it have for the filter? 40+ hours, hmmm, that just means it'll cost a lot.

·
Registered
2005 Scion XB
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the filter mounts in the stock location. The carbon parts mount to the engine side or the stock airbox. The intake sound is very loud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what about rain!?

I was considering doing this to mine, but then I realized that the reason people arent doing this is that you could fill the airbox with water on a rainy day (I live in Seattle), and suck it into the throttle body. Would be very, very bad!

How has he overcome this, or does he just not drive on a rainy day?

·
Registered
2005 Scion XB
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rain has not been a problem even in heavy afternoon downpoures in Florida. The raindroplets evaperate in the intake manifold is my guess. The car feels a little faster in the ran. He is selling if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
water causes increase in HP

Your observation that it seems to have even more power in the rain is definately possible. Water vapor in the intake air will definately cause increase in HP. Just visit www.aquatune.com. They claim large increases in HP by injecting water vapor.

It is good to here thought that this intake has been tested in a downpour.

Luke

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Water injection is a tried and true technology, however, it's primary useful purpose is to reduce detonation. Now as we all know, our cars don't have detonation issues unless (1) you are running a high-boost turbo or (2) are running extremely high compression racing pistons. To top it off, it's not just water vaopr that helps, but it must be a super fine mist, just like gasoline through injectors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
water injection

Water could be used to reduce detonation just the same as higher octane will reduce detonation. But this has the same effect of reducing power. Water even more so in that the temperature of the combustion will be reduced, and the ideal gas law says that PV=nRT, so reducing the temp will reduce the Pressure, thereby reducing power.

·
Registered
silverthorn RS coupe
303 Posts
Do you still have this, I'm very interested. Give me a price figure. I hate making offers. I could say $50 and it would insult them or something, or I could say $500 and they would rob me. So please give me a figure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Water could be used to reduce detonation just the same as higher octane will reduce detonation. But this has the same effect of reducing power. Water even more so in that the temperature of the combustion will be reduced, and the ideal gas law says that PV=nRT, so reducing the temp will reduce the Pressure, thereby reducing power.
Almost true!.....If the 'water' did not go through a phase transistion (fine mist into steam) this would be true....however, the mist is converted to steam thus lowering the temperature slightly (absorbsion of the latent heat of vaporization) but the increase in preasure due to the phase transistion well offsets the formula to the side of increased pressure (volume remains constant!)! Maintaining a gross RH of 80% to 50% in the incoming air stream can provide a measuable increase in output power with the same air volume, air temp, fuel delivery and octane over dry air ( ~30% or less).......

:sunny:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts