Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS SRP(RIP), 97 OBWRXS
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever thought of making their own header instead of buying a borla or borla knock off? i mean i dont really have a lot of metal work experience but got alot of friends and neighbors that do and was just wondering if anyone else has ever thought or even tried this before
(doing UEL of course)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just dont think the labor involved just wouldnt be worth it. The Borla knockoffs are cheap and pretty strong, and apparently are just as good as the real thing. Search though...you might be able to find something on it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2000 RS SRP(RIP), 97 OBWRXS
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya thats what i was thinking but like i said i got a neighbor who does amazing metal work (customs harley tanks from scratch, complete rebuild of cars all by hand nothing premade or bought) but just wondering if anyone else ever thought of this as well

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
ya thats what i was thinking but like i said i got a neighbor who does amazing metal work (customs harley tanks from scratch, complete rebuild of cars all by hand nothing premade or bought) but just wondering if anyone else ever thought of this as well
give it a try... or ask him to give it a try. i woudlnt ask to put in too much time and money other wise it would be better just to get the ebay borlas

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Plenty of people have made their own headers. Have your friend take a good look at the OEM header and see what he can come up with to clean up the horrible collector. Keep the primary tube sizes under 2" and the collector at 2.5" or smaller.

·
Registered
97 silver legacy gt.
281 Posts
has any one done a dual exhaust setup where each side of the block has stright pipes back instead of a 4-1 collector you have 4 individual pipes which merge into to mufflers.

i've never seen it done

·
Registered
FX45, 2008
1,274 Posts
It all depends, dual port - may as well go with ebay, because it will probably run you just about the same price minus shipping of course - Single port on the other hand, different story. I have been going to the same muffler guy since I was 16, and he allowed me to try my hand at making my own... in which I messed up on wlding and bending - so I left it up to him, and he built me a nice set at only $130 - not the traditional borla design, but I bet you couldnt tell the difference otherwise :)

as for dual exhaust, I know there is a guy on nasioc with a dual exhaust where the pipes come out the sides of the car, which I thought was a cool idea, but as for how it runs and sounds, I dont quite know. I saw it in person at a meet/cruise, but didnt get close enough to hear

·
Registered
101 Posts
i made my own custom header designs for 4-2-1. if you do some research on SAE research papers, this is the best at improving torque down low and has plenty of experimental backup. i had an unequal header design which did better than my EL design using the same stepping for 1.625 to 1.75" to 2.25" just like the stepping on ebay knockoffs. you can get significant power but the only restraint is how you package it so that you leave enuf clearance from the ground.

·
Registered
97 silver legacy gt.
281 Posts
wow never saw that before but it does make sense but i do believe you can just wire a second 02 sensor to the original one and then extend the wires and run the system any way that way the ecu is tricked and still reads both sides.... dont know if it would work though or how legal it would be im not doing it anyway just a curious question haha.

·
Registered
94 wagon hybrid 1.8/2.2t
253 Posts
yeah you definatly want to have a xpipe all american dual setups have them. just put the bung right in the middle and your set. except the fact of having exhaust cutout on only 1 side of the bumper. ebay bodykit!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts