Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza Outback Sport
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys had a question im not too familiar with the flat 4 set up in particular with the 2.2l outback sport motor.

pretty much i wanna make a custom exhuast for my OBS like i did on my 240sx.
on my 240 it is just a 3 inch pipe from the Cat on...
the 240sx has a 2.4l motor which for whatever reason loves the 3 inch piping even all stock (N/A)

I was thinking to do something similar with the OBS after the cat no muffler, kind of Trust DD style on it, but was wondering which size piping to use i was thinking 2.25 or 2.5 but what do NA subarus like?

Bad picture but this style pretty much like my 240 but dual (nice looking) tips

·
Registered
422 Posts
I believe the biggest you will want to go for N/A is 2.25". I went 2" on my L with ej22e, and it was great. Not really sure about running just a striaght pipe after the cats, I never tried that - i have heard it of being done tho.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
2.25 is the biggest you'll wanna go, anything bigger you'll sound louder, but loose the bottom end torque....

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback, EJ253
521 Posts
I've got a 2.5 inch and I didn't notice any lose of power down low, got more power out of it, would recommend doing an entire exhaust, headers, cats, and catback. 2.5 inch is the most you want to do none turbo.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
As long as you're fabbing up exhaust parts, you'll definately want to pull that header off and make one that doesn't suck so much ass. One look at the collector is all it takes to know that it was designed for packaging first before anything else. Open up the single ports to 2", use 2" primaries and 2.25" the rest of the way. You'll love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts