Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bout a set of 6.5 in speakers to replace the front and rear stock speakers. The brackets crutchfield sent me don't fit. I called them up and they said well my computer shows that it does fit. He kept saying just use the stock brackets to which my reply was (many times) the stock brackets are 3 screw and the speakers are four screw.

THEN he said well why don't you just fabricate something?!?!? Because its your fucking job to give me the right parts!!!! Now I'm up shit creek with 4 speakers and no way to put them in.

·
Registered
99' L-WRX wagon
591 Posts
Thats strange my Alpine Type R 6.5" set for the front and Type S 6.5" for the rear both came with the bracket adapters in the box.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
I had the same problem with my infinities. Just put the speaker in the stock mounts. You may have to cut the back lip of the stock mount and drill holes to mount the speakers but it is the only way. It's the best solution I found.

·
Registered
08 Legacy, 93 L w/ej20g
1,230 Posts
i have some bostons (didnt order through cruthfield though) and i had to dremel the back of my stock mounts as well because the magnets were huge and then i had to drill another hole. the brackets that came with the bostons didnt fit either so you may have to do some customizing. but i understand where you are coming from, they shouldve only recommended speakers that will fit. good luck man

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Moving to A/V................

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
You need either the Kartboy spacers, or the IAPerformance spacers.

I haven't seen a single other spacer that you can buy from any AV retailers that will work with subarus properly.

http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-010

Not really crutchfield's fault...none of their suppliers make spacers that work right for the subaru.
Stereo work subie-style is almost always DIY. They are possibly one of the worst places to buy audio stuff from though, so I'm not too surprised that you are getting shoddy support from them.

Here's my current setup, using the kartboy rings:

Here's an older one I fabbed out of some cabinet board:

-- Dave

·
Registered
08 Legacy, 93 L w/ej20g
1,230 Posts
man. i might have to get those kartboy rings. how do they hold up acquacow?

im about to hook up my bostons to an old school memphis amp i just got and im afraid my existing set up wont hold in the door.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,278 Posts
man. i might have to get those kartboy rings. how do they hold up acquacow?

im about to hook up my bostons to an old school memphis amp i just got and im afraid my existing set up wont hold in the door.
The kartboy ones are made out of CNC cut soft plastic.

They'll outlast your car.

-- Dave

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
So do the adapters screw into the door correctly? What brand speakers did you get? Most decent 6.5" (infinity, pioneer, kenwood, alpine, polk) speakers come with 4 hole to three hole adapters or have all of the holes in the frame. I have installed alpine, pioneer, polk, and infinity speakers into my front doors and have never needed "adapters". I used the stock spacers. Please post pics if you can. I = confused

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,278 Posts
So do the adapters screw into the door correctly? What brand speakers did you get? Most decent 6.5" (infinity, pioneer, kenwood, alpine, polk) speakers come with 4 hole to three hole adapters or have all of the holes in the frame. I have installed alpine, pioneer, polk, and infinity speakers into my front doors and have never needed "adapters". I used the stock spacers. Please post pics if you can. I = confused
Heh...my 6.5s have 7in baskets =)

6.5 is the actual woofer diameter, and hole cutout =) I found the largest speakers that'll fit in that hole =)

-- Dave

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Heh...my 6.5s have 7in baskets =)

6.5 is the actual woofer diameter, and hole cutout =) I found the largest speakers that'll fit in that hole =)

-- Dave

We have the 6.75" pioneer components at work now. :naughty:

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
I jus used the brackets that came with my type r's and jus screwed those into the oem bracket

worked like a charm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts