Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when swapping a 03 USDM wrx into my01 rs i have been reading that the cross member needs to be a true GC8 Xmember, USDM wagon Xmember or a legacy turbo Xmember. will the stock USDM sedan Xmember not work? what is the difference in the sedan and wagon Xmember? what gen legacy Xmember do I need? I have a complete USDM 03 wrx for a donor.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,537 Posts
There will be play in where the GC control arms bolt into a later model GD/GG WRX cross member. You can either shim them to fit, or tighten the bolts further to bend the cross member in to fit. Either way will work, but whoever told you a USDM WRX sedan crossmember wouldn't work was misinformed. There is no difference between the WRX sedan and wagon crossmember.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
550 Posts
Also you need (I assume) the recess in the passenger side of the crossmember to accommodate the up pipe. A crossmember from a non turbo model won't allow stock turbo exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also you need (I assume) the recess in the passenger side of the crossmember to accommodate the up pipe. A crossmember from a non turbo model won't allow stock turbo exhaust.
i will be using the X member from the 03 wrx so it should work with the up pipe

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
265 Posts
I used 02-05 WRX wagon control arms with my GD turbo x-member. I suspect non-turbo wagon arms are the same thing. The long bolt that goes through them on my GC was too short, so I had to source GD/GG bolts. No shimming or any other wierdness with the parts I used.

Lastly, I used the WRX wagon front sway bar because my NA bar was bent wrong and wouldn't fit the turbo x-member.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,497 Posts
You can also cut a chunk out of your stock non turbo crossmember to fit the up pipe. I know Ill get shamed for mentioning it but Ive done the swap both ways and cutting it is simpler if you’re trying to save time and dont want to remove the whole subframe. It never gave me a problem but you do sacrifice a little structural rigidity.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L AWD, EJ18/22
255 Posts
You can also cut a chunk out of your stock non turbo crossmember to fit the up pipe. I know Ill get shamed for mentioning it but Ive done the swap both ways and cutting it is simpler if you’re trying to save time and dont want to remove the whole subframe. It never gave me a problem but you do sacrifice a little structural rigidity.
Please don't do this.. I'm not going to shame you since your a grown ass man..

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,497 Posts
It really does not affect the drivability of the car at all and doesnt cause any issues if done correctly. People on this forum act like the car has to be sent into space orbit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts