Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
put on the wheels today

All new journal edit here.... Here is my new 2016 2.0i Base 5MT Sedan Venetian Red.

...as it sits now, all stock.

Ultimate goal is for the "2.0RS", since I had to have a sedan with the 5 speed, I figure I can add all the bells as whistles that would be somewhat equivalent to a modern day RS.

The badge that'll replace the current ones once everything is done... dipped the '5'. I had a couple of these laying around.

Quick first additions,
-Whiteline Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks, as the Base model does not come with one, but has all the mounting points.

-Got rid of (as much as possible) the heinous larger antenna by throwing on a stubby, less heinous one.

-Kartboy Short Shifter and front and rear bushings, .... and shift knob...- direct carryover from my old RS....

-Set of factory fog lights that the car is already wired up for anyway...

-Threw in a set of Red turn signal bulbs; just did not like the yellow on the back of the car....

-Wheels will be coming on from a 2007 WRX, already bought and sitting in the basement... as soon as the tires on these steels wheels are done in a year or two...

oh yeah, and the windows are tinted..
More to come soon!

--------SOLD------------

Hey all; here's my ol' 2000 STM sedan. ~130,000 miles. This is my Daily Driven mostly-reliable ride that I just keep maintained and nice looking as possible...
Have not autocrossed it or anything. She gets me to work and back, I just like to keep it driving nice. (Getting harder and harder every year, unfortunately)
Owned since 2010. I know this car came from Houston TX; not much previous history beyone that.
This is the second one I've owned... the First was totalled by a red-light runner in 2010. Exactly the same except for the wheels.

MODIFICATIONS:

-WHEELS: Bought with Speedline(Prodrive labelled) Pero-R/ST2 2013 vintage wheels. 17" This are discontinued, and at first I wasn't sure I liked them, but now they've grown on me.
-Kartboy shifter, silver knob and related bushings.

RECENT MAJOR MAINTENACE I PERFORMED as of 2013:
New Headgaskets X 2 now 6-stars
Timing Belt/Pulleys/Tensioner
Water Pump
Valve Cover Gaskets
New Stock Cat-Back exhaust
New Windshield
New Battery
New Plugs/Wires
Repaired chipmunk-eaten engine wiring harness
New Brake pads/shot some black gloss on the calipers
New Clutch Kit
New Tires - Kumho AST
New struts
New wheel bearings
New Clutch slave cylinder & hose
Repaired Driver's window regulator - Replaced Switchbox with a used one
New Front/Passenger Axle
A/C leaking hose replaced - hard line O-rings going to compressor replaced
New rear subframe bushings
New Clutch pedal return bumper spring/Cruise control switch bumper 'repaired'
Plasti-dipped black outside mirror bases (peeling paint)
New Window Tint - back window was a chore, stripping old crap off

NEEDS:

Roof trim strip clips replaced, (old ones broken by stupid windshield repair place)
Shifter connection knuckle thing
New exhaust
Drivers window regulator
steering wheel issue

MINOR WANTS:

A small suspension drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a couple of add-ons to start my MJ:

This was my original RS I had since 2003...:mad:

I just had to get another one....

Anyhoo;

Today I spent the afternoon soldering back together sections of my engine wiring harness after a squirrel or mouse or some **** chewed through it.
This was aggravating to say the least, but I think I got everything back and looking good without spending any cash or dealing with having to install a new wiring harness.

The worst spot was right by the knock sensor, so at least it was accessible. After that, I discovered the temp sensor was chewed off, which was a little harder to get at, but finally was able to re-attach it.

Cross your fingers that the wiring holds up, and that my new rat traps kill the friggen squirrel or mouse or whatever.:mixed:

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New wheel bearings.. god that was a pain.

both "big ass bolts" on the rear knuckles for the lateral links were rusted solid to the rear links... luckily I could get the other end of the LL off and slid the whold assembly out of the knuckle.

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch slave cylinder flex hose just started leaking, and pedal stuck to the floor so bad that it's not even drivable now... waiting for a new flex hose then I get the joy of bleeding the slave

Oh yeah, the drivers window regulator came unbolted from inside the door, and blew the switch... so I have to get all that back together after I get the new switch in...

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
-Clutch slave cylinder and flex hose replaced and bled- not as big of a pain as I was reading it was..

-installed new window master switch, re-installed regulator, lined up the studs on the window and job done..

My RS is back in business...

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
594 Posts
Sorry to hear about your first RS. I can empathize as the same happened to me. Looking good with those speedlines. Do you have any rubbing issues with 18s?

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks-
they are just 17's, (although yeah, they do look really big on the car) All stock suspension, so no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
- new passenger/front axle. amazed the splined end slid right out of the hub! I was prepped for battle
I guess the cataltic converter right there below the boot takes its toll..
now I've just got gobs of grease to clean up all over the undercarriage.

- replaced broken washer bottle motor with a junkyard replacement.

hooray

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
had to re-tighten the driver's window regulator motor door bolts... applied thread locker, hopefully they will stop backing out. I swear that the GC doors are just not up to handling the torque of the window drive motor... when the window goes all up or all down, the door flexes A LOT.

in other news, starting to hear the throwout bearing chirping at idle.. *sigh*

and drivers headgasket is still leaking, but stable...

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
New Kartboy S-Shifter, front and rear bushings and silver shift knob...

I've installed everything but the rear bushing before, and I had some difficulty with it this time..

took me an hour of cussing/swearing from both attacking inside and outside the car to get the rear bushing bolts to go in. Finally took one of those "I need to chill out or I'm going to throw a hammer through a window" break,

then went back and realized that I needed to "stretch" the bushing over with the passenger side bolt in, by pushing over towards the drivers side (couple of fingers pushing on the square section of the bushing where the rod goes in) while trying to thread the driver's side bolt..... then magically thank god it finally threaded in...

So stay tuned till tomorrow when I finally finish getting all the rest of the shifter and front bushing in, as it is dark outside and I'm beat..

update - added pic did I mention floormats are completely shot?

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rotated tires - 120,000
oil change max life synthetic bl,
going in apr 1 for urethane bushings on rear subframe and broken a/c diagnosis

cleared 420 code about once a month

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Do u ever venture out west of stl? I travel to kc quite frequently.
every now and then; although I'm looking forward to the scoobapalooza thing here in stl in june - supposed to be over 160 subarus

nigggger
you still have the crashed one?? i need doors and..,... drive train
ah no - god knows where that thing is now. wish I knew as well- I had a few parts on there I never got

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
-having issues with the driver's window regulator again skipping teeth.. working on getting a new regulator.

-New squeak coming from the steering column when turning left or right. - vibration in steering wheel.. intermittently, of course when turning just a quick one second shake or so. very odd. WIll be looking at the steering rack.. the pump seems to be fine, with no fluid leaks...

headgasket and clutch time is approaching soon...

·
Registered
2000 RS sedan STM 5mt
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Some more notes to self here:

5/04/14 - 130,000 miles- Motor came out for New (upgraded) Head gaskets, heads decked, new cam seals, crank seals, another new timing belt - my replaced pulleys were fine, new oem clutch kit.

steering wheel noise & rough spots have disappeared now that weather is warm.. hmm

driver's window works, but still goes nuts if you let the window roll down all the way.

-Low fuel light was coming on even when fuel was no where near low... so I put in a bottle of Techron and crossed fingers...we'll see, might need new sending unit.

-did a thorough engine de-greasing and cleaning, now that heads do not leak. Woohoo! it actually looks pretty good under the hood now

The Need-to-do-list: (getting smaller!)
need new part# 36037FC020 spring for clutch pedal bumper rest thing..

Paint the outside rear view mirror base pieces..
New window tint

1 - 20 of 30 Posts