Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i hit a dead stop.

i put my car back together, i turn the key, the dash board lights up, and goes out when i turn the key, but starter does not spin :(

i am gonna take it out and have it tested, but i doubt it's bad. What should i check to make sure all my wiring is correct?

thanx
Alex-

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Before you take it out check the ground wire that plugs onto the tab on the backside of the starter. If that is off it will do exactly what you are describing. It's about 16-18awg, with a female spade on it(I think it's black)

Buster

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that little black wire is in, and the positive is going to it, and the negative is going to the block. I actually went to the dealer and looked under the hood on one of the soobies there... just to make sure...

what does that wire do any way? I assume it's a siglan to draw power? where is the fuze for it? I got a multimeter off a friend, what voltage am i looking on that wire?

Thnx

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Easy test for your starter:

First, note there should be just two wires that go to your starter: One giant one from the battery which obviously runs the starter motor, and the second one which engages the solenoid and trips a relay inside to engage the starter motor.

So, simply remove the small wire from the starter, and then using something like a screwdriver or a pair of pliers, touch the now exposed wire terminal to the giant wire from the battery.

Of course, be sure you are in nuetral and have the parking brake on first!!!

If your starter is working, it'll turn over just like when you turn the key. If it does not turn over, then your starter is probably defective. However, sometimes it's just the solenoid on the starter. To test that, let the car cool down and it if it starts. If not, get a hammer and shack the side of the solenoid once or twice. The idea is that the cylinder inside is jammed, and whacking it will knock it loose. Most starters have seperate solenoids, so if that is the problem, you can just unbolt it and put a new one on. Often older solenoids would heat up and the expand, and because of dirt inside, then would get jammed. Or, they just plain wear out.

Good luck!

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, i'll try it tonight.

by the way, how would i know if it's jammed?

how about just rolling the car a little bit, and letting the clutch off?

Why are you never on chat? you got to promote it your self:D

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
It's hard to tell if it's jammed, but the hammer trick is the way to tell. As far as rolling the car, sure you can do that, but that does not diagnose anything. I'm offering tips so you can determine what needs to be fixed, that's all.

As far as the chat, well, I sit at a computer all day long, and the last thing I want to do when I get home is... sit in front of the computer more! Sorry! Remember, I built the club for you guys - not me! :D

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey J, so i tried doing what you told me.

I put the screw driver to both leads and got a spark, i didnt know where to hit it, so i tried testing it out of the car. I connected ground, power, and that black cable. But it would not spin while out of the car. I am taking it to schucks tonight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts