Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i just bought a 95 impreza L. it has a loud lifter and a wobbly crank pulley.

so today i decided to check out the crank pulley. basically the key disintegrated and allowed the timing sprocket and the crank pulley to walk around and cause some problems.

so what im asking is where can i get another timing belt crank sprocket. are they the same for the 2.2L legacy? we have several in the local junk yard. also, are the crank pulleys the same on the 2.2L legacy as well or will i need to find these parts off of a 1.8L? also, the crank is a little checked up as well, im hoping it will be good.

the timing sprocket was bad enough it was about 5* off in timing. . . .

also, im concidering just swaping in a 2.2 pretty soon. ive head this is pretty straight forward. but i do need a series 1 or phase 1 2.2 form a pre 1998 legacy, correct?

thanks
Callen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i ended up welding the messed up groove on both the timing sprocket and the pulley and re-cut them. i got them good enough. the valve noise is still there.

is there any way to adjust the valves on this car? or are the HLA lifters?

anyway, time for a new rack and pinion, tires, alignment and a smog and all is well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, my wobble is back, i thinks its time for a new pulley. oh well.

on another note, i pulled the valve cover off the head today to check valve lash. well, since this is a 1995 EJ18 is has HLA rockers, which subsequently are not adjustable. upon further inspection i found that on of the rockers was missing the cap on the back of the HLA, so basically the HLA chamber on the rocker arm wasnt creating pressure so the piston wasnt extending and the valve wasnt opening, so i took the rocker assembly off the head, removed the buggered up rocker arm, and tig welded the end of the rocker arm shut. re-installed everything and fired it up with some new cover gaskets and the motor purrrrrrssss like it should.

soooo, that was my day. along with new inner tie rods and some new rack and pinion bellows (which are a bitch btw).

soon a mild build thread on the car. its my first suby, so im stoked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.