Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you separate the crank pulley from the crank gear/shaft with the motor out of the car?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there any way to get the flywheel to stop spinning so i can loosen the bolt?

·
Registered
257 Posts
You got a few options here.

Either Use a screw driver on the fly wheel, and a bolt in the casing for the transmission, (Dont' use a bolt you want to keep, easiest to do this with 2 people, but possible with 1.) Another varient is use differnet bolts you won't re-use, in place of the flywheel, and a crow bar btween them. I've heard of people using the block, and my opinion, I don't trust the idea of it for some reason. (Then again I've used a very weird assortment of thigns that even pro shops didnt' do for years, whiel having emergencies at the track, (Most fwd cars you can fill a manual tranny by undoing the speed sonsor instead of rigging up a hose and jackign up the car, etc.)

Use a strap wrench on the pulley, CAUTION: Be very careful as stock rubber flexes, you might damage stock pulley to break loose 120 ft lbs/square in especially if its well aged.

Impact wrench easiest, (I've seen an electric impact capable of 250 ft lbs out there.) If you got a buddy with an air impact and a good size portable air compressor is the easiest and by far the safest option.

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
yeah i second the impact wrench. with the engine out, you can finally fit it in there! i have the impact wrench, but never could get it on the crank pulley bolt with the engine in the car :(

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i can use the impact wrence and get the bolt off the pulley without blocking the flywheel? because when i try to loosen the bolt the belt just turns with the pulley.

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
scoobaroo said:
so i can use the impact wrence and get the bolt off the pulley without blocking the flywheel? because when i try to loosen the bolt the belt just turns with the pulley.
thats the beauty of an impact wrench! it will loosen that bolt without locking the flywheel. same way you can take off lug nuts with the wheels in the air.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok new problem. I had someone hold the driver's side cam sprocket in place while i attempted to loosen the crank pulley bolt. When i turned the crankpulley, the timing belt jumped teeth. I'm guessing since the driver's side cam wasn't moving, the passenger side cam probably did. How do i realign the passenger side cam with the driver's side cam? Am i going to have to loosen the timing belt, turn it by hand and then retighten the timing belt? anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
Your going to have to re-time the engine. Try putting the car in gear, having a friend hold the brake pedal and you put a breaker bar on the crank bolt, hit the bar at the handle area with a rubber hammer while holding pressure on the bar....its ghetto but works sometimes. (I did it last weekend)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the motor is out of the car. also, how hard is it to bend valves if you're cranking the motor by hand?

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
Sorry didnt know that the engine was out of the car. put two bolts across from eachother in the flywheel and have a friend put a pry bar or long screwdriver through the bolts, then you can take off the bolt easy.
If you crank hard enough you can bend valves but if you just came into contact with them then proballly are all right. IE you have to push on them pretty firmly to bend them, But if you felt resistance and then pushed and got movement....everything is easy with leverage.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
Pretty much impossible with the heads on. With them off you can see how they are seated against the head and is pretty clear. With the valves out its super easy.
...Why do you ask? Did you make piston to valve contact when you slipped the belt? or are you just thinking too much into it? If you just slipped a few teeth I doubt that you hit anything.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i slipped a few teeth and then the next day when i went to crank the motor by hand it wouldn't turn past a certain point so i tried a little harder and then gave up. but some valves are open i know that for sure because i can't turn the motor past a certain point.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
Depending on how much "harder" you tried you may have bent a valve, but if it didnt move any further you may be ok. I would retime the engine and try turning it over by hand again. The bolt trick on the flywheel really works well. I use it at work all the time.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok. well how would i retime the engine if the two cams are out of time and i can't get the crank to turn past a certain point? sorry for all the questions, this is the first time i've pulled the motor

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright. are you available tomorrow because i have to study for a final tomorrow. and you're 425, are you from the eastside? are you residing in the eastside as of now?

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
Feel free to call me whenever. I keep my phone in my toolbox so if I dont answer I will call back.
I am from the Seattle area but moved to Phoenix about 1year ago, just too lazy to change my number.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts