Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Joe, does the 205 have the timing belt guide bracket? The one on the oil pump?

Joe, yea I plugged it back in.

Egor, when timing, pistons should all be at their half way points, two going up, two going down. No pistons should be at TDC.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
I got it. It's the indented mark. The white lines are there deliberately to fuck you up.
That's how it's always been. Always use the indented lines on all parts. Your cam sprockets have them as well and painted marks near them. At this point I'd make sure that you didn't screw up the valves. I've seen cars off a coupe teeth and be ok and I've seen cars off a couple teeth with bad valves.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I still have compression fosho.

Does the 205 have the timing belt guide on the oil pump? I thought they all did, but I'm not sure. I installed it, and I'm wondering if that's interfering with the signal coming from the sprocket.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Doesn't look like it's in the way either way. I looked up some pictures, some have it, some don't. IIRC, they are supposed to, I'm going to assume it's a bad crank sensor.

Bansheeboy11 should be here shortly with a known working ej205 crank sensor. If it's not that, more diagnostics will be required. I have my fingers crossed it's just that.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Okay, brainstorm time.

What is likely to cause a no spark condition?

Bad coil(s) - checking now
Bad crank sensor - replaced with known working sensor
Bad camshaft position sensor - still possible, but unlikely
Bricked ECU - possible
Wiring - probably not
Alarm system with ignition cut - not installed

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Tomorrow after work, I'm going to put the pump cover back on, timing covers back on, both belts on, and swap out the alternator and/or re-do the wiring (Egor :unamused: )

Then for it's maiden voyage around the neighborhood :banana:

I have to source a few 3 inch gaskets, flat and donuts, so I can actually put an exhaust on this thing. I'd like to have a few extra too.

I am SO happy right now. I can't wait to drive it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a very similar issue with an ej20 in a loyale..
Was it one of your crank/cam sensors?
I've replaced coil and ignitor but cant find the correct sensors for my jdm ej20...
I know its an old thread but I have found very little help for my position.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts