Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Which one should I whip.

• Coupe all the way!

Votes: 91 59.5%
  • Sedan cuz it has 4 doors.

Votes: 34 22.2%
  • Whip the wagon, cuz you be pimping it.

Votes: 35 22.9%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 3 choices that i can get.
There's a 99 2.5 rs coupe about 300 miles away from me and i'm willing to go and pick it up. It has 113,000 miles on it. New clutch at 70,000 miles and new timing belt at 90,000. He's asking $8000.(private seller)
PRIVATE SELLER
There's a 2001 subaru rs sedan a 1000(yes 1,000 miles away) miles way. It has a hit fender, but no damage to the suspension. The car has 67000 miles on it. He had his engine replaced like 7000 miles ago, but has no paperwork(but says he can get some). It has no fog lights, and needs a clutch. He says it has a check engine light because of a broken O2 sensor. He said he's gonna get it fixed. So i have to fix the fender(which is 600 est from subaru) and a new clutch. He's also asking $8000.
Or chould i get a wagon. It's a 97 L AWD. It's only 87 miles away. It's red(not my favorite color). It has 87,xxx miles on it. SHould I whip a wagon? Drop in a ej20 or a ej25. The dealer is asking $4900.

all these are 5-speeds.
What do you guys think i should do?

·
Registered
191 Posts
well i wouldnt choose any, but definatly first on the list is that 2.5rs coupe because its got an ej25 and its in one peice!

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
what price rnge are you looking at? there are plenty for sale if you pony up around 10k...

btw, if i had to pick it would be the wagon... then bolt on a turbo...;) but really dont think any of them are a great option...

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,962 Posts
99 seems a bit over priced.

i would go 1000 miles to pick up a car that was hit if the price was right. I would get the VIN, run it through car fax, call the local police department and have incident report faxed to you. That will give you details on what actually happened.

Wagon? How old are you? do you REALLY! want a wagon?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
if you are gonna mod it, go with a wagon. if not, and you are single, go with a couple. if you want convinence, go with a sedan.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,962 Posts
...If you are JZ go with a 1982 VW rabbit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Coupe :p

I have a coupe, and so generally I am biased I guess, but they are a lot of fun, and are fairly small being as they are a coupe. You might need to be careful, since the doors open up a lot but so far I have had no problems with mine.
I also say coupe because I like coupes more than sedans. In fact I am still at a loss about why Subaru discontinued the coupe line of imprezas...

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS
563 Posts
Go with the wagon all the way. Talk the dealer down a little (already a good price for a 97), buy it, do engine swap, and it'll be faster than the RS's and have spent less money, plus wagons are pimpin'!!! HAHAHA!!!!
-Joe

·
Registered
283 Posts
wagon - no question
Chicks dig guys with wagons. Period.

·
Premium Member
2000, GF4 wagon, BRP
10,383 Posts
I have a sport wagon, I like it, and I wouldn't want anything but a wagon to take snowboarding, but it seems wherever I look the only other people driving a wagon are dikes (about 80%).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 97 Impreza Outback Sport Wagon. Great car, but suspension was a little stiff. I sold that and bought an 01 RS coupe. Rides very smooth and the difference in engine size (2.2 vs. 2.5) is totally noticable. I heard that there is some difference between the 98-99 and 00-01 with the suspension, so i wouldn't know about the RS that you're looking at.

As far as chicks who "dig guys with wagons," I'm not so sure on that one. I am a chick and would prefer a guy with a coupe over a wagon. Sorry Caddy.

Rachel

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 3.0RSR
490 Posts
I say wagon cuz its cheap (more money for mods) and i love the way a gc8 wagon looks. If subaru had made an RS wagon i'd be all over it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"If subaru had made an RS wagon i'd be all over it."

I could be wrong but arn't some Outback sports similar to the RS? I think in 2001 they started putting the EJ25 in the OBS. I doubt it has the LSD, but that is easy enough to fix.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
Pretty sure the OBS had a 2.2 untill it went to the bigger newage bodystyle...

Now Subaru doesn't use the 1.8 or 2.2 at all so 2.5 is the low end motor :boxer:

·
Registered
212 Posts
That makes sense. I just remember that when I was at the dealership buying my RS that the salesman showed me an OBS, which was a 2003 and bigger, and told me it had the same size engine as the RS.

But that isn't worth much, since we all know how full of it a car salesman can be.

I would love to have the smaller OBS with a 2.5 in it and a LSD.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If i were you i would keep looking.... they best car of the 3 would be choice number 1.... even though it is way overpriced for what you would get

1 - 20 of 38 Posts