Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been a long time lurker of this forum and think I might just be ready to pull the trigger on my first project car. I plan to work on pretty much everything from the engine to the interior on this car. I know it's not the prettiest now!

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

I'll be honest though, I'm going into this "project" with the intention of learning how to work on cars. I don't know much of anything ATM. Was hoping you guys could give me some advice and let me know if this just looks like a complete POS or if you think it might be a good building block.

I haven't checked it out in person, yet. From the photos it looks like there is minimal rust, and everything else seems like it can be cleaned up.

Thinking I can probably pick it up for around $1500 or so and with only 114k miles on the chassis I think I might be able to get some good life out of it.

Let me know though, because I really don't know much.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Tim

·
Registered
98 impreza outback
70 Posts
For that price with the miles seems like a great buy, but even with lack of knowledge for what to look for you can still look for things that look obvious like oil leaks (leaks in general), if the engine is dirty or even just how the interior looks can tell you how well the car was taken care of. The biggest thing that will tell you is a test drive. Keep in mind depending on what you want to do with it cause they do have a speed limiter on them but if your doing wiring swap doesn't matter then. I myself got a 98 outback and did head swap with rebuild and love every bit of it though and they handle like a dream with suspension mods!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looks like a no go to me at that price. Bent radiator support and clearly something is leaking in the pic of the damage underneath. Doesn't look like a POS; could be repaired possibly, but I'd try to drive it and see just how bad the damage is or have it inspected.

·
Registered
98 impreza outback
70 Posts
I wasnt able to pull the pics up until now but i see what you mean about the oil. Ive found that depending on how well the engine was taken care the 2.2l those guys leak oil too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All the boxers leak pretty much :) Leaks means lack of maintenance to me though, whether forced or NA. My previous WRX had 125K and no leaks, but I had to replace/maintain a lot of stuff to get it to that point.

·
Registered
98 impreza outback
70 Posts
(04GG) I can agree with you on that, by working at the dealership ive seen all years makes and models of Subaru show poor maintenance and some really old years that look great!:) Its like the saying goes " Take care of your car an your car will take care of you!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts