Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know what is cost to swap a wrx engine to an rs? and also a lost of hat is needed? thanks

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
depends on which motor you want to swap out.

jdm ej20 will cost alot while a usdm ej20 would be considerably cheaper..but expect to drop around 5-10k to do a motor/tranny/ecu swap.

it's not like swapping a honda where the ecu's match up to each other..since one is a turbo motor and one is not..there are changes there and tranny differences with gearing and what not...i would defintely suggest doing a good amount of searching before even starting a process this in depth.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=267634&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

That should spell it out, about a dozen different ways. One thing is certain, it's not cheap, or easy. Figure $5K as a minimum. Hmmm...what could $5K thown into a 2.5 produce?

I've been thinking along the same lines, and what engine would I choose. My only conclusion is that I'm going to buy a whole wrecked car. I've got the brighton, and could use lots of other things. I've seen rolled RS's go for $2000, and even a rolled WRX for $3000. I figure between me pulling parts I don't need, and selling them seperate, I can recoupe some $$.

Also, I want the entire driveline from my 1.8 to build into something else. Sand rail? Dune buggy? Maybe my lawn mower will get 115 HP.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
As much fun as that sounds, I'm leaning towards the open cockpit street legal dune buggy thingee. Used to have a friend with a VW buggy, and it really was a blast. Can't imagine how much fun it would be with a flat four, and 4WD.

Then again, going from a 13 HP Craftsman to a 115 HP Subaru could be just stupid enough to get me to do it. If I'm going all out stupid though, I've got this recliner...

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Ahh!! Oh my god! This is only stuff I dream about!! HAHAHAHA, wow :lol:

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Here's a pic of I guy I work with:

Yup, a souped up lawnmower that can do wheelies in one gear, and 50+ MPH in the other:lol:

:Edit: "Cooter" just told me to tell you that he strongly recomends putting the 1.8 on you mower.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
rpone605 said:
jdm ej20 will cost alot while a usdm ej20 would be considerably cheaper..but expect to drop around 5-10k to do a motor/tranny/ecu swap.
Actually the opposite is true. A JDM motor will be quite a bit less.

JC

·
Registered
502 Posts
New WRX = $25,000 (come with nifty neon headlights)
Used RS w/ ej20 install = $15,000-$20,000 (.. not mistaken as an Echo or a Neon)

GC8 please

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
JC said:
Actually the opposite is true. A JDM motor will be quite a bit less.

JC
are you considering the fact that you have to order parts from japan? that's why i would think it be more expensive.

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
HighTachPres said:
New WRX = $25,000 (come with nifty neon headlights)
Used RS w/ ej20 install = $15,000-$20,000 (.. not mistaken as an Echo or a Neon)

GC8 please
Dude for that price I can buy a Focus SVT and drop a jackson Supercharger and Spank WRX all day while at the same time do it very reliably...(I'm going to get hell for that comment)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
hey frank, i brought you something. here, look in my little basket. here you go: :devil: (you did say you were going to get hell, right?)

anyway, i could spend $5k and build a nationally competitve STS Civic :p

personally, if i were going to spend that kind of money, i'd just turbo the 2.5L. I wouldn't bother with the hassle of a swap unless i really had lots of money to blow and drop in the new STi motor. of course, then you'd probably want the 6MT. and with that kind of money, i'd just build a rally car :)

·
Premium Member
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 RS,
45 Posts
I would just turbo a RS, but then what do I do when it is time to SMOG? And what do I do about the weak tranny the RS comes with? I am doing the STI engine and tranny swap, and the best way to do it is to save $$.

Frank, why in hell would u want a Dodge Neon? Are you trying to get your self beat to a bloody pulp?

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
impreza01 said:
I would just turbo a RS, but then what do I do when it is time to SMOG? And what do I do about the weak tranny the RS comes with? I am doing the STI engine and tranny swap, and the best way to do it is to save $$.

Frank, why in hell would u want a Dodge Neon? Are you trying to get your self beat to a bloody pulp?
A neon no dude a Ford Focus SVT I hate to admit it but those little cars are wicked fast! I drove my friends supercharged SVT that thing is fucking sick!

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS
563 Posts
Where do you guys get your figures for engine swap prices??? If you are willing to drive to the naerest place where you live at, the prices I have been given range from $1500-$3500 tuned, depending on how much aftermarket stuff you want to upgrade from the original swap is what makes it go higher. This is pricing on JDM WRX and STI engine swaps. A USDM WRX swap may be on the low end.
I was pricing on Ver 3 WRX swap at $1500 tuned, from a well known Subaru performance dealer.

-Joe

edit: Ralli Spec, on the lower side

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS
196 Posts
let me break it down..

used JDM GC/GD front clip will run you between $3000-$5500 depending on year, model, condition and mileage. The onces that i have seen on the market are usually coming off the ver1-3 WRX in japan. their rated HP are ranging from 227-280hp. only down side is that its not smog legal in CA.

a used USDM wrx motor/tranny including ECU and other neccessary parts/hardwares will run you in between $4000-$5500. again, it all depends on mileage and condition. but smog legal if u live in CA..

then once you are done w/ the conversion, your high hp urges and boost junkie temptation will lurk you into spend another a couple grand just to be ahead of the game...(aftermarket ecu, fmic, larger turbos, injectors, and etc)

so far I have spent about over 10k including the EJ20 engine swap.

all in all..if you have the money to blow.. DO it! :)

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Blitz-

What made you go with the 2.0T and not just turbo the 2.5? I know you can crank the boost up higher on the 2.0, but I don't think the tranny is good enough to handle too much more than 250HP. It can for a while, but it seems that anyone that goes much higher, and pushes near the 300HP range, is having problems.

My thought is to get a 2.5, and turbo. Just need to keep it reliable enough that I'm not going to shred gears.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts