Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got done reading Motor Trend. Next month's magazine features value-car (grocery getters) comparisons between the corolla, focus, civic, and (i forgot the last car). Well, the 2002 civic hits a 1/4 mile in 16.4 while the 2002 Corolla (130 hp) hit's it in 16.0 secs and 0-60 in 7.9 secs.
After reading, it made me feel that the RS needs more power. I don't want to be racing a lightly modified corolla one day and having my ass handed to me. It's too bad SOA gave us a sporty car that hits 8 secs 0-60 with a tranny worth crap :rolleyes:. Uhhh, sorry for my whining. I feel better now. Time to get the car some performance equipment.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Do you have an auto? I hit 0-60 in the low 7's, and I just have an intake, filter, axel-back exhaust, and short shifter. That 8 second time sounds like what Road and Track got on a 98 RS with an automatic when they first came out.

Edit: Oh, and let's see eith one of those cars match those times in the rain!:D

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5rs Sedan
72 Posts
There are a lot more to our cars then just straight line performance. For example what happens when it snows? Also the manual Impreza RSs are faster than 8 sec 0-60. I dunno which you have, but my car(2001 manual sedan) with an intake/filter + cat back ran 0-60 in 6.4-6.7. Sti suspension bits, but I doubt that makes any difference and new tires. The great thing about our cars is the potential they have. AWD + lots of power = a fast car. Our engines are also large for a 4 cylinder and for each mod you do you will pull more power out then a 2.0 liter civic, assuming proper tuning.

If you arent impressed with the straighline performance you can always get a turbo kit. :devil:

-Chav

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I don't want to be racing a lightly modified corolla one day and having my ass handed to me.
Just imagine how I feel with my L!:mad: HondaH8er's right, though-in foul weather, our cars rule!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a manual, but I just can't seem to break into the 6 seconds on the 0-60. I have a ganzflow, Amsoil air filter, ProECM, performance muffler, and other little bits of fun. I'm sure it must be the way I launch and shift my gears. That damn "daily driver... weak tranny... dealership warranty..." voice that talks to me in my head. Damn you :devil:! :curse:

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Chav said:
Also the manual Impreza RSs are faster than 8 sec 0-60.
For 2000 and 2001 the 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are identical for the manual and the automatic.

·
Registered
613 Posts
RS25.com said:

For 2000 and 2001 the 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are identical for the manual and the automatic.
I don't know why but it is true, my auto will pull right along and a lot of times beat a manual RS. I swear Subaru tweaked the ej25 for '02 I'll get beaten in the twisties though, damn auto is always in the wrong gear :curse:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know why but it is true, my auto will pull right along and a lot of times beat a manual RS. I swear Subaru tweaked the ej25 for '02 I'll get beaten in the twisties though, damn auto is always in the wrong gear
Now wait a minute b, you have complained that your RS was slow so what's the deal? Are you saying you can beat my little manual RS arse, hehehehe. I used to think my car was slow too until I had a few friendly stoplight races with some of the locals. I have 2 mustang gt kills under my belt which really isn't saying much and 2 Eclipse gt kills to go with it and a few others that are not quite as notable. So don't think your car is powerless until someone does hand you your ass.:run:

·
Registered
77 Posts
magracing = bad.

dont fret guys that time is completely bogus. corolla 5spds usually hit mid-high 16s, never a 16 flat, and there is no way in hell they are trapping at 88mph. i trap at 87mph and i have ~45 more hp and ~55 more lbs-ft of torque and a HELL of A LOT better gearing (corolla's gearing SUCKS). in no way is that gonna make up for the corolla's 300 lbs weight advantage. hell a celica GT has 10 more hp weighs less and has better gearing and you will never see one trap over 85mph. the zx3 weighs the same has the same hp and better gearing and runs high-mid16s, trapping at about 82mph. the new civic ex has the same hp, weighs the same, has MUCH better gearing and is still a mid 16 second car not trapping above 82mph. those times are a physical impossibility for the corolla (probly G-TECHed it). i raced my freinds auto corolla from a roll with my old 110hp 1.8L impreza from 40mph-75mph and i pulled a car length. the idea that a 5spd corolla is trapping at ~88mph is absolutely ludacris.

·
Registered
77 Posts
and i dont see an auto RS hangin with a 5spd....not mine anyway, maybe cone eaters ;) .

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Chav said:
...my car(2001 manual sedan) with an intake/filter + cat back ran 0-60 in 6.4-6.7. Sti suspension bits, but I doubt that makes any difference and new tires...
Ehh, don't be so quick to judge. :) A stiffer suspension means less dive and squat, which are things that lead to poorer acceleration times, since the car takes longer to gather itself before it actually goes. Basically, anyway. :D

I don't think the tires would contribute quite as much. Since the car doesn't really peel out (damned AWD ;) ), I think tires would help more with decreasing brake distance, than decreasing 0-60 times. Though I guess a sloppy tire would flex and all that stuff, too.... So who knows.

So you live in Lewes, eh? Hmn. I stayed in LongNeck in summer of '97 with my ex girlfriend. Her parents own a trailer in Pot Nets Park that they stay in for summers. It's just outside Rehoboth Beach, but I'm sure you know that. It was alright I guess. :rolleyes:

-S2-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts