Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the story. A buddy and I were going from his house into a nearby town to pick up some food at sheetz, so as we cruise into town in my rs we see a cop sitting off the road just watching a red light. So I mind my speedometer and just drive by and I just know he is going to pull out behind me and sure enough he doesn't let me down. So I head right into downtown where I need to make a right turn onto a 2lane one way street. I pull into the right lane since I'm making a right and the cop pulls into the lane right beside me. He shadows me for 4blocks. Well at the next block I need to be in the left lane so I turn on my turn signal, slow down, and drop inline behind him because there is no way in hell I'm going to speed over infront of him. Well he freaks and slams on his brakes and quickly jumps over into the right lane to let me by and then slides back inline behind me. I make about 4 more turns and finally lose him because he gets stuck on a red light. What the hell.................it was like he was TRYING to make me committ a traffic violation. ARRGGHH. I don't know what the point of this was.......I guess just to vent.:curse:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used to get that treatment from some local police in upstate NY when my wife and I would go there to see here family. I'd get followed everywhere I went. Unfortunately for them they did it the one day I had my brother in law in the car with me. Much to their surprise to see a judge get out at the stoplight and ask to for his badge number and to speak to the the shift supervisor. After that they wouldn't even look at me.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Had something very similar happen to me a couple of times back whne I was 19 or 20. Funny thing was, I was driving an old yellow Datsun 710 wagon with chrome hubcaps and a sagging back end from bad shocks. Not your typical street-racer car, but that didn't stop them from following me. Well, it did have a big stereo in it, but both times I was obviously followed for a long ways, the stereo was off. One time, I was going home to my parents place, and I was sitting in the left turn lane at a stoplight. The cop was on the other side of the street, and as soon as his light tuned green, he crossed the street and did a u-turn (probably an illegal one) and pulled in right behind me. So I went on as usual, since it was only about 4 blocks to my parents house. They live on a corner, and I parked on the curb, so I used my right blinker to signal that I was pulling over to park. He hit his right blinker, but as soon as he realized I was parking, he immediately changed his blinker to left, and tore off real quick. Bastard, I wasn't even moving when he decided to follow me.:curse:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
Yah cops follow me in my RS all the time... Its almost like as soon as they see a kid in a hot car they automatically follow them... The cops around town are so bored they have nothing better to do since there is no crime wher ei live. i hate cops

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Generally speaking, I believe, if a cop follows you for more than a few minutes/miles/whatever it's considered harrasment. As in .... the cop was just waiting for me to make a mistake.

I drove past this cop sitting waiting to pull into traffic, so I slowed to 5 over. She pulls out, and catches up to me in my OMG diesel VW 4-door rabbit. Tailgating me like a bitch, of course. Then I see the outline of the yellow lights go on, as she's preparing to pull me over. Doh, I'm not blind. So I change to the right lane, then off to the side of the road. Right as I do, she hits the red and blues.

She comes over, asks for my info, and then tells me she pulled me over for doing 55 in a 40 zone. Of course, I'm like "Um, no I was doing 45 the whole time." She persisted, and then I layed it on. "Hey, do you know I SAW you sitting at that corner as I DROVE PAST YOU? Do you think I AM BLIND?!?!?!" I was totally pissed. I kept telling her that I was not speeding, and finally she said "Well, I haven't seen you around here before, so I pulled you over, what are you doing here?" That blew me away. I was like "I work at the BofA in town, and have for 6 months, and I can't believe you just pulled me over for that. I'd recommend you get back in your car and either follow or meet me back at your police station while I file a complaint." She gave me back my license, and then I drove back to town. She didn't follow.

I spoke with the sargeant in charge, and he radio'd her in. He took her into his office, closed the door, and yelled at her for a good ten minutes while I was outside.

She came out and apologized to me.

Ah sweet revenge..... :devil:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I applaud you almighty rs25.com
you are indeed god
i'm seriously impressed, that took some balls:D

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
When you're right, you're right. Stand up for yourself.

That is not the only time I have filed complaints against the cops. I do it neraly every time I am treated rudely or unprofessionally.

No one has to tolerate being bullied, and certainly not by a officer of the law who's job is to "Protect and serve" - remember?

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
Well you can't file a complaint against the seargent, now can you? :curse:

keith

·
Registered
139 Posts
i've had my RS for just over a week and have already been pulled over twice. the 2nd one actually told me that he stopped me just to make sure it was mine.
sure it's annoying but, i truly don't mind. i'd like it if they kept pulling me over expecially since the city i live in has the highest auto theft rate in the state. my advice is "stay legal and behave...until you hit the backroads.:D "

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
If you don't mind being pulled over for no good reason, great, but pulling you over to be sure it's yours... that's called "No probable cause."

If any cop (1) pulled me over for that reason and (2) was the least bit rude I'd file a complaint as well.

Did he run the plates and they came back stolen? Didn't think so. He was harrassing you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
no plates yet. the cause (and they were quite polite though) for following me was because my temp permit was in the front window. on the back of the permit it states that i can put it there. because they didn't see the permit, they wanted to make sure i bought the car.(hence, probable cause)
i do agree however that a cop follwing me to try and find something wrong will recieve a royal (ass chewing) treatment. we live in a crooked world with crooked cops... it won't change anytime soon.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
When I drove my 240Z a lot and had long hair, I was cop bait. I'd get dicked with all the time. Sobriety checks in the middle of the day, riffle through my car looking for who knows what, you name it. Then I cut my hair, got a new RS, and now I never get messed with unless I deserve it. Last time I deserved it, I ran through a speed trap on the interstate in the RS going 95MPH. Sure they pulled me over, but I was treated in a professional, curteous manner. In Los Angeles! If you fit the profile, you will get cops attention all the time doing nothing wrong.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Did you know that a cop cannot search your vehicle without probable cause? It's a constitutional RIGHT.

Therefore, when some cop asks to search your car (he has to ask if he has no cause) you ALWAYS tell them "No. You may NOT search my vehicle unless you have probable cause. Do you have probable cause? If so, please let me know what it is."

Probable cause to search your car would be something like:

1. You smell like alcohol or drugs
2. There is visible paraphenalia in your car (i.e., bong on the seat, empty beer bottle on the floor) which he can and already has seen in your car or on your person.
3. Any guns, or gun-related equipment also clearly visible.
4. Saw you throw something like a gun, drugs, bottle out the window before stopping you.
5. Reports of someone who looks like you or a car likes yours in the immediate vicinity which just commited a crime. (But, they'll usually have their hand on their gun in that case, and that's usually a tip-off that they are serious. Cops don't touch their guns unless they think they are going to have to shoot someone.)

However, if he just opens the door and starts going through your stuff, (or, in my case, opens your glove box) then he has just violated your constitutional RIGHTS.

The cop who opened my glove box door and rifled through it then came to me and said "What's in your trunk." I said "A bike, mine." He said "Open your trunk." I said "But officer, you have already violated my constitutional right against illegal search and seizure by going through my glove box with no probable cause, do you really think I am going to open my trunk for you?"

He turned white. He partner suddenly looked VERY uncomfortable. He handed me back my ID and said "Terribly sorry for the inconvinience, have a nice evening."

He had just pulled me over for doing dozens of donuts in a parking lot. :lol:

Know the law or you will be subjected to someone elses interpretation of it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Take it from me be careful of how they word things when they ask about searching your car. I got the question before, is there anything in your car that would give you reason to deny me to search your car. That bastard was the one who caught me for having nitrous oxide in a car I used to own.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Well, if you fall for trick questions, you get what you deserve! (Nothing personal, mind you.)

My response would be:

Officer, do YOU have reasonable cause to search my vehicle? If so, state what it is and be my guest. If not, then you'll need a search warrant.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
RS25.com said:
Well, if you fall for trick questions, you get what you deserve! (Nothing personal, mind you.)

My response would be:

Officer, do YOU have reasonable cause to search my vehicle? If so, state what it is and be my guest. If not, then you'll need a search warrant.
Any cop could turn that around and say you are being evasive, paranoid, non-cooperative, what do you have to hide, etc.

Sure it's bullshit, but we do live in a police state, this country. When you got pulled over just because the nazi bitch DIDN'T RECONIZE you....Man, welcome to Moscow, comrade.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yes and no, actually.

When you have some idea of the law, and you start quoting it, cops get nervous very quickly and start playing by the rules. If you don't know the rules, they will play YOU for a FOOL.

I've never been afraid to stand up for my rights, and it's never bitten me in the ass. I've found it's most effective on exactly the cops you are talking about as well. The asshole cops.

But, if you don't know the law and don't know what you are talking about, you are better off keeping your mouth shut. So the word to the wise is only practice law if (1) you're in the right and (2) you know all your rights. If you are doing something clearly illegal, shut your mouth and don't self-incriminate. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts