Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS ej20g swap
505 Posts
good thread man, but heres a good tip as well. Don't speed.. haha, or at least just be smart about it. Using common sense will heavily decrease the chance of getting a ticket for speeding. for instance go slower in blind spots, watch for mutiple sudden brakelights from other cars in front of you, etc.

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Only speed if you have a 'rabbit' Ie.., a car matching the speed you want to go roughly 1/4 mile ahead of you.

If I'm alone on a highway I usually won't go over 10 over, surface street, 5 over. Any other time, I find the faster moving traffic and go with the flow.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
1) Yes. Happened to me with a cheap ass radar detector. Buy a Valentine 1 and you'll get a huge advance notice when a cop has radar that is driving on the opposite direction. If you notice most police who have radar turned on also always drive in the fast lane as well.

2) Not sure on that one. Probably depends on your state.

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
372 Posts
Last Time I Checked They Dont Need To Show You A Slip Unless Asked For..... And Most Highway Patrols Have A Radar Device On The Dash And In The Rear Window So Your Damned Either Direction....!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The one I got picks up every kind used by the police, and it will even hide itself if it detects that the cop is trying to detect detectors. and it works 360 degrees.

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Hah, they use both and I drive without any (just use my eyeballs). I considered a scrambler but it's against the law here and I already am.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've called a cop out on a bullshit radar speed before... Said I was going 68 when I was going about 63 and I asked him for a radar slip and he said he didn't have one and let me go... ^_^

I don't have a radar detector either though, I can just smell that whiff of donuts and tenderloin from a mile away :lol:

·
Registered
2008 Sub-aru
542 Posts
I'll answer these right now

1. Can a police officer clock/radar how fast you were going while he was driving in the opposite direction?

Yes

2. Does a cop have to show you a "radar slip" or show you on his radar how fast you were going?

No, and there is no such thing as a "radar slip"

·
Registered
2 Posts
best investment i have bought for my subaru is a radar detector. i recommend the passport 9500i, its kind of expensive but will save your ass when it comes to cops.

·
Don't go changin
00' RS
7,795 Posts
Drakuun said:
Only speed if you have a 'rabbit' Ie.., a car matching the speed you want to go roughly 1/4 mile ahead of you.

If I'm alone on a highway I usually won't go over 10 over, surface street, 5 over. Any other time, I find the faster moving traffic and go with the flow.
A rabbit hahaha. I call em pace cars. But a 1/4 mile is HELLA far ahead. I usually follow 5 to 10 carlengths if I do that. 1/4 could be enough time for the cop to get any number of cars. But I don't usually drive that fast anyway.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Passport 8500, it was going off all weekend when out of state. Cops love visitors :run: . I played it cool with him..... he ended up giving me a written warning.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Smurfy said:
And most use lasers too, which is undetected by radar detector.
Wrong.

They use both usually. And Laser CAN be detected by a Radar/Laser detector.

For example... I was in the fast lane behind a car doing around 85 MPH on a long trip. BAM! All of a sudden I get "LASER" alarm on my Valentine 1. I slam on my brakes and slow down to the speed limit. Then I get the "LASER" alarm AGAIN on the V1.

What happened is... the first "LASER" alarm was actually the state trooper hitting the car in front of me. He aimed at the windshield and then the beam bounced onto my car which set off my Valentine 1. Then the cop aimed at my car directly and hit me with laser. By the time he hit me with laser, I was doing the speed limit.

So yes, laser CAN be detected. This situation has happened twice... however the second time the car in front of me was speeding and the cop pulled out, passed me and pulled over the GTO that was infront of me.

joubtt said:
Hah, they use both and I drive without any (just use my eyeballs). I considered a scrambler but it's against the law here and I already am.
I would check your state laws to be 100% sure. Here in Ohio it is illegal to jam radar but not illegal to jam laser. Think about it.. if anything you want to jam laser because radar is easily detectable with the best radar detector.

·
Don't go changin
00' RS
7,795 Posts
Mine has a laser detector. I have no idea if it works or not. I'd say 90% of the real hits I get are KA band.

·
Registered
16 Posts
noTe said:
Wrong.

They use both usually. And Laser CAN be detected by a Radar/Laser detector.

For example... I was in the fast lane behind a car doing around 85 MPH on a long trip. BAM! All of a sudden I get "LASER" alarm on my Valentine 1. I slam on my brakes and slow down to the speed limit. Then I get the "LASER" alarm AGAIN on the V1.

What happened is... the first "LASER" alarm was actually the state trooper hitting the car in front of me. He aimed at the windshield and then the beam bounced onto my car which set off my Valentine 1. Then the cop aimed at my car directly and hit me with laser. By the time he hit me with laser, I was doing the speed limit.

So yes, laser CAN be detected. This situation has happened twice... however the second time the car in front of me was speeding and the cop pulled out, passed me and pulled over the GTO that was infront of me.

I would check your state laws to be 100% sure. Here in Ohio it is illegal to jam radar but not illegal to jam laser. Think about it.. if anything you want to jam laser because radar is easily detectable with the best radar detector.
I didn't say they can't be detected. I said a Laser can't be Detected by a Radar Detector. A Laser/Radar Detector obviously would be able to detect it. To be honest tho if you get hit with a laser it doesn't really matter they're pretty instant. Unlike the radar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I asked a cop to show me the gun once(I assume thats pretty much the same as whatever you mean by "radar slip"). I had heard multiple people tell me that they were required to show you it so I gave it a shot. He just got pissed off and told me that he didn't have to show shit and the cop that tagged me was down the street. He gave me a ticket and I was on my merry way, more educated about how things work.

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
A Lazer detecter tells you when you are getting a ticket.:lol:

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,025 Posts
Smurfy said:
I didn't say they can't be detected. I said a Laser can't be Detected by a Radar Detector. A Laser/Radar Detector obviously would be able to detect it. To be honest tho if you get hit with a laser it doesn't really matter they're pretty instant. Unlike the radar.
It's extremely rare for any company to sell a ONLY radar detector anymore.

I guess you didn't read my reply. Laser is instant and having a good laser detector can still save your ass.

·
Premium Member
2002 Aspen White WRX (sedan)
2,402 Posts
Best way to not get tickets are your eyeballs. Just watch traffic they will let you know. At least here in michigan where everyone speeds. Even others who don't will tap thier brakes if they see a cop in the median, as for passer by cops, i try to blend with traffic.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts