Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys hear we go.
I bought a 1999 forester s ej25 sohc that had a blown head gasket. I took the engine out and replaced the head gaskets, all timing parts, and thermo stat. Once the engine was put back into the car i fired it up and burped the system. Started fine and everything sounds good.
So here is the problem.
1- Temp gage inside car isnt coming off cold.
2- Cooling fans came on as soon as i fired the car up and did not shut off.
3- Check engine light is now on.
I took the car for a quick spin around the block.
4- Once i pulled back into the garage from my lap around the block i noticed steam coming out near or from the radiator cap. Top of the radiator was HOT.
5- After the coolant cooled down i took the raiator cap off. While doing so i could hear bubbling coming from the overflow reservoir. Sound stopped once the cap was completly off.

The car isnt leaking any coolant.

After some research im leading to belive that the "coolant temp sensor" needs replaced, and fan relays.

Please make suggestions on any other things i might be over looking.
Thank you,
PDXRS :facepalm:

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
1. when you were putting the engine back together did you remember to plug the coolant temp sensor back in? it has to be unplugged to take the intake manifold off. its on the crossover pipe on the pass side of the block.

2. did you get the heads machined to make sure they weren't warped?

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. when you were putting the engine back together did you remember to plug the coolant temp sensor back in? it has to be unplugged to take the intake manifold off. its on the crossover pipe on the pass side of the block.

2. did you get the heads machined to make sure they weren't warped?

1- As far as i know i did. I had tagged every wire. I will double check this evening when i get home

2- Yes i did.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
well damn. i'm out of answers. do you know if these conditions were pre-existing before you bought it? or did they just tell you it had blown HG's and left it at that?

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well damn. i'm out of answers. do you know if these conditions were pre-existing before you bought it? or did they just tell you it had blown HG's and left it at that?
I was told by the previous owner that when she was driving the car she noticed a bunch of white somke coming out the tail pipe. She got it home and parked it. She mentioned that it didnt over heat but without a proper temp gage working in the car who knows if she even noticed the temp gage wasnt working. Car sat for two months while she pondered the idea of replacing the head gasket. Once she put it up for sale ($2000) i found the add and offered her ($1000) and the deal was done. I had it towed to my house.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
yeah..time to change out sensors then. i'd be willing to bet she didn't even know if they were working right or not.

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah..time to change out sensors then. i'd be willing to bet she didn't even know if they were working right or not.
Ok with that being said i should replace the 2 fan relays and the coolant temerature sensor correct?
Any other sensors i might be over looking?

·
Registered
03 RS, 99 FOZ S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Update.
I failed to plug in the coolant temp sensor.
:wtf:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts