Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OBS black pearl (suki)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving, my car's normal operating temp is around 185-195 according to my engine link app. But, when I'm Idling for more than 10 mins, at around zero degrees ferinheit, the coolant temp drops to around 155-165. This wouldn't concern me very much, but when the coolant temp is that low, I can feel the difference in cabin temp quite a bit. Thanks to my job, my car sits at idle for a good portion of the day & I'd like to have a bit more heat.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
If this wasn't happening before, then maybe you need a new thermostat. If it always happened, then your stuck with it. Live somewhere warmer. That your can try to modify it to accept a higher temp thermostat from some other vehicle, but it could raise the temps while your sitting idle, but could cause the car to overheat when not idle.

I'd rather just wear more clothes in the car.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek
97 Posts
My car does the same thing when it's 0 or in the negatives. It normally operates around 195, but when it's freezing balls outside and I'm idling, it tends to cool down quite a bit. Probably just the way it is?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
It's cold outside and the engine isn't working hard while idling. Thermostat can't close anymore than it can. Your car can be like my A/C less car. As soon as I stop the car it stops spraying out heat and instead just blows cool air. Once I move again, it blows crazy hot air again.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
You can block some airflow into the engine bay. Cover a portion of the radiator, close the hood vents and make sure the insulating hood pad is in good shape.

Edit: and while it's idling, make sure you are recycling the inside air. 0 Degree air from outside will sap all the heat you are building quickly if pulled through the heater core.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts