Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 2.5RS with 171k. It was parked outside for like 6months before I started to drive it again. The moment I got inside and close the door, all I can smell is a huge coolant smell. It seems to me that coolant may have leaked into the car. I am not 100% sure though. I notice there is tiny white mold spots on the steering wheel and the carpet is a very light green color. I drove the car for a few days to see if the smell would go away but unfortunately it didn't. Also, the interior of the car would literally be all fogged up after I come out from the grocery store for example. Weird thing is that there is no overheating issues at all, no burning oil, heat in the car works fine and no traces of any coolant leak in the engine area. I am thinking it's the heater core that's leaking coolant into the car. Any suggestions? Please help me out!

Thanks.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
sounds right to me or a heater core hose
2nded.

Also, mine smelled really bad of coolant when it was leaking out the drivers side headgasket, however I didn't have any other issues like you've stated (mostly the fogging and the green carpet).

Crawl under your dash with the heat on (and the car warmed up, the coolant system is under pressure) and see if she's dripping anywhere.

Also, check your coolant level under the hood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I am worried about the headgasket as well. I checked and I can't spot any drips. I asked some local mechanics for advice and they say sometimes it can merely be moisture trapped in the carpet and underlay and that what I am smelling is the mold and not coolant. Is that possible or am I beng too optimistic?

·
Registered
Black 1998 2.5 RS Impreza
195 Posts
Yep, same car , same miles over here. pressured up coolent line + leak or just a pin hole leak. You could try some stop leak ....i know that that core is a pricy/PITA thing to replace.

·
Registered
00 BE, 92 BC, 77 celica GT
2,192 Posts
Turn on the defroster on a dry day. Does your windshield fog up and or it stinks like coolant? Heatercore.

Your in luck, im selling a bnib one :)

·
Registered
00 BE, 92 BC, 77 celica GT
2,192 Posts
Yep, same car , same miles over here. pressured up coolent line + leak or just a pin hole leak. You could try some stop leak ....i know that that core is a pricy/PITA thing to replace.
The part itself os cheap. It's the labor thats expensive.. and DO NOT use stop leak. Worst thing you could possibly do to your car.

·
Registered
MY00 RS/STi
956 Posts
I have a used RS heater core if you need one. It's the full assembly with the white plastic and selection doors not just the small radiator looking part. That's if you need one. Just pm me at any point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.