Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS (Silver)
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal to need to top off your coolant every so often (every few weeks) or should I be concerned about a leak? :jerkit:

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
How much do you put in? Is there coolant in your oil? Do you visually see coolant on the ground?

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS (Silver)
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, none on the ground or in my oil. I topped it off 10-15 days ago and it needed 2 cups or so yesterday.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Check your upper and lower rad hose ends, obviously anything damp will signify if theres a leak. Only other spot ive had a problem with it the throttle body coolant lines/gasket.

·
Registered
all the wagons
1,534 Posts
yea just check all coolant hoses. if they or the clamps look old replace em. one of my heater core hoses was leaking. still had the super old clamps on em.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Also another thing, when checking coolant levels, check it under same conditions.

That means if you checked it while it was hot or cold engine, you need to make the second check the same as the first check. If it was hot, second check should be when hot.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
If you are adding a couple cups to the radiator every couple weeks and not noting the overflow level you'll run out of coolant before your rad runs out of room.

In a heat cycle the coolant expands pushing some out. Quadruple check for leaks including the line to the overflow and the bottle itself, then leave the rad were it wants to be.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Get some SLLC pink (super long life coolant) from a toyota dealer and drain yours and replace. If it leaks anywhere externally, you WILL see it. It makes a flourescent pink crust at the leak location that is super obvious and you will be able to find it. Losing a few cups every few weeks is too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts