Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently got my RS back from the shop who was doing the heavy lifting for me on the swap. They got the car (2001 2.5RS Coupe) and the engine (2005 STi) up and running for me. After driving around a little bit over the weekend I've noticed that there is coolant leaking/spraying in the area of the top passenger side corner of the radiator near the cap.

Its getting all over the underside of the hood and the abs module.

The best theory I can come up with is that this is coming from the cap but I can't really be sure. Any thoughts on what to look for and how to diagnose would be welcome.

·
2.5RSMatt
207 Posts
If you think it's the cap I'd begin there and replace that since they're cheap. When is the last time it was replaced anyway?

If that's not the case then perhaps there's a pinhole leak in the top hose or the radiator itself. It looks like it's spraying from the photo posted.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks like they reused the stock radiator from the RS. My guess is either the cap is malfuncioning or that the top is cracked along the plastic edge where it mates with the aluminum. Ive had a few radiators crack in that same area. I'm curious as to where they routed the turbo coolant line as one of the lines is supposed to go to the radiator next to the main upper hose.

Try idling the car at temperature and see where it's leakig from. I usually put a piece of white paper or tape down so i can see what direction coolant is going.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for suggestions all. With the benefit of a cooler morning I was able to see the leak misting out of the front of the radiator where there must be a crack.

Now taking recommendations on replacements. Mishimoto? OEM STi?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts
Is that a 2005 STI radiator in there?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts
The stock radiator can handle spirited driving just fine. If you go with a different radiator, you'll have to buy fans. My advice is this, at stock STI power, get another RS radiator. If you're shooting for more power, then get a radiator for a 1991-1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo, either oem style or mishimoto/koyo/etc. You'll need to get fans from a 1998 Forester to fit.

Your AC condenser lines won't fit now, so if you want to keep AC, you'll need a 1998 Forester Condenser and lines (the one to the condenser, and also the aluminum one that goes to the dryer bottle on the passenger side).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is that a 2005 STI radiator in there?
The GD radiators all have a centrally located upper radiator hose IIRC. On the other hand the early FXT has the same hose location as the RS minus a radiator cap. I prefer these since it's less parts thay can fail and it looks factory and they are readily available at most dealers and retailers.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts
The GD radiators all have a centrally located upper radiator hose IIRC. On the other hand the early FXT has the same hose location as the RS minus a radiator cap. I prefer these since it's less parts thay can fail and it looks factory and they are readily available at most dealers and retailers.
Does the early FXT radiator clear the RS AC lines? And what fans do you use? It sounds like a good option that I hadn't heard of before.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for those details. So something like this: Performance Aluminum Radiator, fits Subaru Legacy 2.2L Turbo 1990-1994 (or the OEM equivalent) plus the 98 Forester fans?
Does the early FXT radiator clear the RS AC lines? And what fans do you use? It sounds like a good option that I hadn't heard of before.
Yeah I definitely want to keep AC working but this sounds like a much easier part to find and is probably still available new.

Currently I'm snooping around salvage yards for a 98 condenser, hoses and fans but that doesn't sound very reliable. Looks like you can still buy new fan motors for the 98 Forester but not the assembly. If I go this route, do you guys know if that will fit with this: Performance Aluminum Radiator, fits Subaru Legacy 2.2L Turbo 1990-1994 ?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts
Yes, the 98 Forester (and 98-only RS, good luck finding those) fans fit those. I'm rocking those fans on my setup. I understand your concern about putting such old electric fans in your car. Mine have worked perfectly in my 00 RS. My 1992 Legacy Turbo has the original 1992 vintage fans in it, those work good too.

I wanna hear back from @stalkergc about his solution though, it's much cheaper if it lets you keep AC with no new parts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I honestly usually delete the AC on my cars. I dont recall 100% if it clears the ac lines but it looks almost identical to the regular NA radiator except it has the extra bung for the turbo tank reservoir. I'll be able to let you know 100% this summer when I do a few more cars!

Heres a link to the radiator. I know 2004 definitely works but Im assuming 05 is the same. 05 fxt rad

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suppose I should do it for scientific research purposes. My only concern is that this is an aftermarket OEM Replacement. I'm worried about the durability and I doubt it actually has been tested for efficiency.

I'm going to look around a bit more and see if I can find the forester parts I need. I've also got a turbo that is in bad shape so I've got to get that sorted out as well.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts
That makes sense. If I hadn't spent 3+ months searching for the exact parts needed (the ones I listed in my initial reply), I would be down to try it as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the place I work has aftermarket 98 Forester rad fans available. Dorman Products - 621-259 So I ordered up a couple samples to try out and I'm going to order up a Koyo legacy turbo radiator to pair up with it. Koyorad Racing - Products : High Performance Racing Radiators

I'll post back up about how it all fits.
Well the Koyo doesn't fit with the condenser, but the fans look like they will work. I need the radiator to be a little narrower to make it work. I suppose only the OEM legacy radiator will fit properly. The rad fans seem like they'll work, but the coolant reservoir doesn't fit right.

Its tight in this corner with the power steering res and the hose:

But on this side it just hits the condenser so you can't get it flush. You could probably run it like this

Then on the passenger side its pushed all the way over and the pins on the bottom aren't in the right place to drop in.

Now to see if Rally Sport Direct will take this back.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,248 Posts
The oem turbo legacy radiator wouldn't fit your stock condenser either. It's not an aftermarket vs oem thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts