Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost the full length of the threads.. funny thing was it came out easy and when I went to put it back I made sure it was not cross threaded and it started binding way before it made contact with the pipe..

All the other bolts.. well they went in just fine, so any tips on how to remove it?

·
Registered
2009 BL5, 2001 RS
3,472 Posts
Let it soak in pb blaster and then vise grips. Same thing happened to mine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vice grips are going to work? the thing is the angle is going to be a little funny.. I assume the threads are screwed up as well?

Why would Subaru just not use a stud in this area?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
you have a couple options here.....

soak it with pb blaster you need to do no matter what. let it soak for a good while and keep soaking it periodically.

option 1: do what jt said and use a vice grip. use it sideways to try to break it free and then you can probablly put them vertical to spin it the rest of the way out.

option 2: grind the head flat(not all the way to the block but to make sure you have an even surface. start with a small bit and drill a hold right in the center of the bolt. drill it it big enough to get an easy out in there.....OR..... drillt he bolt completely out and get a helicoil kit and helicoil it.

regardless your going to need to run a tap down into he hole and clean the threads and then take compressed air to blow the threads out. use grease when taping. chances are the bolt hydrolocked or got bound on something in the threads or there was crap at the bottom of the hole.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
You could weld a nut to it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
you have a couple options here.....

soak it with pb blaster you need to do no matter what. let it soak for a good while and keep soaking it periodically.

option 1: do what jt said and use a vice grip. use it sideways to try to break it free and then you can probablly put them vertical to spin it the rest of the way out.

option 2: grind the head flat(not all the way to the block but to make sure you have an even surface. start with a small bit and drill a hold right in the center of the bolt. drill it it big enough to get an easy out in there.....OR..... drillt he bolt completely out and get a helicoil kit and helicoil it.

regardless your going to need to run a tap down into he hole and clean the threads and then take compressed air to blow the threads out. use grease when taping. chances are the bolt hydrolocked or got bound on something in the threads or there was crap at the bottom of the hole.

Well option one did not work.. so I guess I will have to drill it out.. I hate doing that.. I had the same issue when I replaced my gas tank pipe.. the last friken bolt snapped.. being as I had just picked up the pipe from the dealer and it started to rain I grabbed my drill and went at it.

I have a bolt extractor kit but I don't think it will do that much good.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
yeah you could weld a bolt to it too... will come right out but good luck if you dnt have a welder or a way to get the engine to someone.

just take your time and drill it out. subary bolts are junk they drill pretty easy

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a wielder but not at this location.. but I'm not going to cart this engine around to do that.. because first of all I'm only a single person haha.

But seeing how easy it snapped it must be pretty soft, On well I will worry about it in the morning.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
yep... drill it out and step ou the bit size... when its bit enough you might be able to even take those vise grips and collapse the walls and pull it out

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep... drill it out and step ou the bit size... when its bit enough you might be able to even take those vise grips and collapse the walls and pull it out
Yeah that's the same way that happened to the gas pipe.. lol was I mad how easy it just released off the threads after I drilled it, So I assume I need a helicoil for replacement?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts