Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious on how it would be to wire in a RS ecu in place of my stock L ecu. As I can find a lot more support with the emanage ultimate running off the RS ecu then I can for the L ecu. I also have the RS ecu and ECU plugs so all the wires should be there.
I will be going from a 2001 L, to a 2000 RS .... any ideas of whats different? I found that the O2 sensors are different. My stock ones are 4wire, the RS has 6wires - what are the other two wires and where on the ECU do they go ? I have looked over the wire diagram from northursalia.com and found that the front o2 sensor is listed on the first page as having 2 signals, then on the back page as 4signals.

Anyone know where to find a full wire diagram for both vehicles ? or even any input on anyone thats done this, or know where the o2 sensor wires go in accordance with the ECU ??

·
Registered
1999 SUBARU IMPREZA RSTI EJ20K
2,628 Posts
you know that will be illegal right?

going to an older engine is illegal

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
there is alot of illegal things people shouldn't do!
like swapping a ver 4 motor set into a 2000 rs ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not the engine I am swapping, its just the ECU and the intake manifold -- the engine is a ej257 with ej251 rs sohc heads ...... and just trying to get it running off the RS ecu because I have a base map for it to work off of on the EMU.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts

Only if you're going from an OBDII machine to an OBDI machine, in states with emissions requirements. Otherwise, nope, just fine as long as it isn't stolen.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts

Ya and swapping ECUs isnt? The ECU is the biggest emissions control device on your car. Anytime you mod or tinker with it you are doing something illegal.

Anyway. What state are you in? Is the RS a CA emission car? I ask because some have the WRX crank/cam wheels not the standard 6/7 like you have. I say this because a six wire O2 sensor is a wideband sensor. In 2000 it should have had a four wire narrow band sensor the only cars that would have had that IIRC would have been a CA emissions car.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Ya and swapping ECUs isnt? The ECU is the biggest emissions control device on your car. Anytime you mod or tinker with it you are doing something illegal.

Anyway. What state are you in? Is the RS a CA emission car? I ask because some have the WRX crank/cam wheels not the standard 6/7 like you have. I say this because a six wire O2 sensor is a wideband sensor. In 2000 it should have had a four wire narrow band sensor the only cars that would have had that IIRC would have been a CA emissions car.
You are right.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
alright - now I am very confused. I was looking at some O2 sensors from a 2000 RS to replace my current ones, and they were 6wires. My stock ones are only 4wires. The RS ECU I have is a '00, no idea if its a CA emissions or not, bought it from ECS about 6months ago, the ecu has several numbers on the front -- 22611 AG023 , A18-000 D4Q any ideas ?
Also this ECU runs off the standard 6-7 cam and crank wheel as I have had it running before.
Does this ECU us the same o2 sensor as mine ? the 4wire style ? I also live in Vermont .... so I am far from CA

Also forgot to add that this RS ECU came out of a 2000 RS, manual, MAP based car. My car is a 2001 L, manual, MAP Based ..... I was told it would just be the intake manifold sensors that were different and the timing - but I have both the gears so thats an easy fix. Is this still the case ?

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
Ya I dont know much more than at some point in 00-01 they changed trigger setups on different stuff. Maybe ESC knows just what car it came out of or by the ecu number. Maybe the dealer would know what car it came out of.

Honestly though I wouldnt go though the trouble just because you have a "base map" for that ecu. The ej25 ecu isnt that much different than the ej22. That base map should be good enough for your stock ecu. Atleast enough you can start to tune on. A internal combustion engine doesnt need to have a tune close to where optimum would be. Just dont run it hard from the start and tune one thing at a time and you will be fine.

If you are willing to go through the trouble and you have the 36-2-2-2/2(WRX setup) get a WRX ecu. Then use romraider and flash out the codes from missing emissions equipment. Then you dont need the emanage. Not to mention the stock ECU has a wideband O2. Though it doesnt have as big a range as a +$200 sensor and controler would be it is still very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts