1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is cool, roughly $1736 US, not including shipping:

http://www.takakaira.com/php/template.php3?id=185&cat=2

5Zigen releases the Twin Mode Clutch System aftermarket transmission upgrade that offers the best of both transmission worlds: manual & automatic! Such an interchangeability option in a vehicle is a luxury only offered on production models like Porsche's acclaimed Tiptronic, Alfa Romeo's superb Selespeed, and Mitsubishi's innovative INVECS II. This upgrade option provides a driver an automatic transmission mode while driving in heavy downtown traffic or in a traffic jam. It also allows the driver to switch to a manual transmission mode when driving in suburban town areas or when the driver is attacking the slopes & bends on challenging mountain & canyon roads.
The above is achieved by having an on/off switch on the shift knob. Depressing the switch turns the system on, and the transmission will act like a clutch-less shifter, where each push of the gear knob will raises a gear, and each pull of the gear knob will knock down a gear.
The switch on the gear knob is to activate an actuator connected to the transmission oil pressure line. Actuation is controlled by a motor which mechanically disengage the clutch. Such an action will convert the manual transmission state into a semi-automatic transmission state. The amount of adjustability for clutch cut-off is allowed by the actuating mechanism during the twin mode system's set-up.
The Twin Mode Clutch System comes with a computer-controlled pump that controls the clutch's oil pressure, and cables that are used to actuate the switching system. Control in semi-clutch state is made possible by activating the switch on the gear knob and letting the computer to control the actuation.
As a result, interchangeability between M/T & A/T is made possible by turning on the switch. Gear changes are made by turning of the switch. M/T & A/T are two different transmission systems but with the installation from this kit's computer controlled oil pressure pump to on & off the clutch system, the Twin Mode Clutch System becomes a reality. The computer works by reading driving parameters like vehicle speed, engine RPM, and accelerator, clutch, and brake pedals actuation. The ROM chip in the computer differs according to vehicle model.
For vehicles with twin & triple plate clutch systems, optional items (JPY 20,000) are required. Please enquire when placing orders.

Attachments

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
I saw that on 5Zigen's ITR back in a Super Street ( :rolleyes: ) issue. Pretty nifty shit, but I wouldnt give up my 5spd for anything :p

keith

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
So you gonna get it James?

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
damn I should have read it a little closer. I thought it was for auto to tiptronic. That's what you get when you start reading when your tired.

Nick C.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Depressing the switch turns the system on, and the transmission will act like a clutch-less shifter, where each push of the gear knob will raises a gear, and each pull of the gear knob will knock down a gear.
Umm...isn't the exact opposite of nearly all the sequential shifters on this planet!? :rolleyes:

I like the idea of the MT to Sequential kit, though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
yeah i was kinda thinking of that... but didn't know for sure.. but yeah.. cuz like in f1 how they brake and they just tap the lever forward.. but i think it would be more of a problem to have the button on the shifter.. i'd like it some where l ike on the dash or in one of the coin holders..

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
the websight only shows it for the EJ20, do they make it for ours too?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
that's cool! wonder how fast it shifts. if it's slow, i might as well stick with my MT.

jz

·
Registered
646 Posts
So it sounds like its just a electrically controlled slave cylinder like the ones that they used to sell for the RX7 but back then they called it drive by wire or some junk like that. Then they added the straight style shifter that is already out for the Silvias. I'd skip it. I'd rather save the cash for a dog box.

·
Registered
2013 GTR
702 Posts
that would be nice to have..

but with that kind of money id spend it on other more important things =) (like decals!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts