Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5 RS
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much it would cost to convert to right hand drive?

Also, any shops round tri state area that would do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
I'm not too familier with rhd in subies but in hondas you have to cut out the firewall and weld in the rhd one. and that's just the beginning.

·
Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
3,229 Posts
1999impeza2.5RS said:
I'm not too familier with rhd in subies but in hondas you have to cut out the firewall and weld in the rhd one. and that's just the beginning.
you can also cut and weld the lhd one but it looks kinda sloppy in my opinion.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
RHD is cheaper than a LHD build if you're doing it yourself. Theres no wire merging, it just plugs up. I did mine myself, it just required drilling out the spotwelds on my clip then riveting them into my old firewall. This is the commonly acecpted "ghetto" method, and I nkow of at least 3 other people who have ran it for around 2 years without any problems and many many track days. And yes, you need rhd mirrors as well.

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
I can admire a nice RHD conversion, but I find it pointless, personally.

Unless you want to work for the US Postal Service, and have the fastest mail delivery car in your state.

[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS2.5
155 Posts
derekthecynic said:
RHD is cheaper than a LHD build if you're doing it yourself. Theres no wire merging, it just plugs up. I did mine myself, it just required drilling out the spotwelds on my clip then riveting them into my old firewall. This is the commonly acecpted "ghetto" method, and I nkow of at least 3 other people who have ran it for around 2 years without any problems and many many track days. And yes, you need rhd mirrors as well.
"RIVET A STRUCTURAL MEMBER?" what the HELL? Wjhy would you do that? In the real bodyshop world, that not a SAFE practice! that's some really dangerous SHIT!

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
You're only riviting the brackets into place. The entire original firewall is still there.

That was in progress but you can see its just a few brackets that need to be attached to the firewall then some spaces cleared for everything to work. But like I said, ask almost anyone of this site and how they did their RHD. Vast majority of the time riviting is the accepted method, hardly anyone does full firewall swap.

Mxpunk: I didn't know I was wasting so much time with my RHD v2 wrx. I suppose you're all right, it was so much worthwhile to stay na. I'll have to swap back an ej25 and LHD so I can be cool.

·
peon
shitty shitty bang bang
2,583 Posts
CO200025Rs said:
"RIVET A STRUCTURAL MEMBER?" what the HELL? Wjhy would you do that? In the real bodyshop world, that not a SAFE practice! that's some really dangerous SHIT!

obviously you've never flown or even looked at an airplane. The whole thing is riveted together. And if not rivets then they use glue. There is very little welding that happens on planes.

·
Registered
1998 BMW M3
2,657 Posts
ill throw down the $100 bill i have in my wallet for the rest of the weeks lunch money that a rivit is stronger or just as strong as an oem spot weld. have you seen an OEM spot weld in its massive strength?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts