Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here. I'm looking at buying a 99 Impreza 2.5rs and the exterior and interior look really well maintained. However, there is rust at the differential/rear end (some in the engine bay as well). This concerns me as it's not priced as a "beater" and I'd like to keep it for a while. I'm in Michigan so it'll only get worse unless I get it taken care of. Car is 3 hours away so I want opinions on whether it would even be worth driving to look at it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
00' RS
44 Posts
7k for this rust pile? Naaaaw.

Not even for 5.5k tbh

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
174 Posts
I can understand not wanting someone to swoop in and steal this from you, so feel free not to specifically answer my questions. Is this posted on a "popular" platform (Facebook, Craigslist, etc.)? If so, for how long? If it has been listed for more than a week, I would say it isn't worth your time to go out to see it because my guess is someone would have bought it by now if it didn't have serious problems with rust. Do you have good pictures of the trouble areas (quarter panel, rockers, etc.)? (If you want to see what NJ rust looks like, even when the car was a summer-only car for the last five years of its life, check my journal). In the end, though, I think how long it was posted would be the deciding factor for me. If it is somehow clean everywhere else, somebody probably would have bought it at 7k. I definitely could be wrong, but 6 hours round-trip is a long time to me for something that you are only willing to pay 6k (and probably rightly so) when the seller wants 7.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
892 Posts
For what it's worth, this thing is mint condition compared to my 95 coupe, and I'll never get rid of it, ever. From the pictures, it doesn't look bad to me. The engine bay looks pretty clean aside from a couple brackets and the compressor, but I'm used to New England rust.
How often do you see these cars for sale? You say the exterior is well maintained, how are the rear wheel arches?
Already a 5 speed, pffft, go get it. These cars are easy to love.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s been up on Facebook for over a week, but it’s also miss labeled as an automatic when it’s a manual (which is why I think it hasn’t been bough with search filters and all). Here are the usually trouble spots on the body, looks clean and would have been a professional clean up if rust was there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
174 Posts
I mean, looking at all those pictures, it doesn't look terrible. And I do second SoCo's sentiment that my 2000 RS is, without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned. I was less worried about the subframe and more worried about what the rest of the car was like, especially if you were potentially dropping 7k on it. If you follow the market at all, they do not appear often. And if it isn't hiding anything, the seller will probably be able to get 7 easily for it, so I wouldn't go into it thinking you will be able to negotiate down too far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some further conversations with the owner and it looks like it's got an intermittent CEL due to the header/exhaust (P0420 o2 sensor, P0442 evap leak, P0130 o2 sensor)

If the 3+ hour drive and rust hadn't scared me away, this will. Not super excited about diagnosing issues on someone else's mods. Here's the listing regardless. I think I'm gonna pass and sit tight for another over the next couple of months.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,159 Posts
The RS is an uncommon car, but it's not worth $7k or even $5k in poor condition.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The biggest issue I'd have is with the rusty bolts, especially the lateral link bolts because those things are the absolute bane of my existence to remove. The subframe itself looks fine, I don't see it causing any dangerous issues for at least another 5+ years (my wagon was much worse than that and I drove it for 6yrs).

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
395 Posts
I don't know man, I'm in Buffalo and this car looks pretty damn clean! The rear quarters look to be free of sny observable rust, there's minimal rust in the engine bay, and if it's a northeast car, I'd say the rear end is pretty clean as well. I'm sure if you had cash in hand you'd have a leg to stand on for negotiation, but you have to decide if it's worth the gamble. The car doesn't appear to be overly "modified" - the only things I'm seeing are the intake, wheels, and rear sway bar endlinks. As far as troubleshooting the codes, might be as simple as the O2 sensors and a filler neck or some vacuum lines...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know man, I'm in Buffalo and this car looks pretty damn clean! The rear quarters look to be free of sny observable rust, there's minimal rust in the engine bay, and if it's a northeast car, I'd say the rear end is pretty clean as well. I'm sure if you had cash in hand you'd have a leg to stand on for negotiation, but you have to decide if it's worth the gamble. The car doesn't appear to be overly "modified" - the only things I'm seeing are the intake, wheels, and rear sway bar endlinks. As far as troubleshooting the codes, might be as simple as the O2 sensors and a filler neck or some vacuum lines...
I know it does look pretty clean. And it might be that simple to fix, but it also might not be. And it’s tough for me to put up a price for that uncertainty. I could probably do like $5k but I doubt they would go that low.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They are usually gone same day as posting, even total rust buckets. They are hard to find and you kinda need to pay up or be extremely lucky.

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
157 Posts
Not trying to rain on any ones parade, but is there such a thing as a 4 door RS in 1999 ? Production figures I`ve seen, seem to indicate 2000 was the first year for a true RS sedan. RS have a specific vin code. IMO, a true RS is worth more than an Impreza that has RS parts added to it. The RS were low production vehicles, and from a collector point of view, more valuable than a clone.

·
Registered
95 L Swap Sedan, 01 RS coupe, 01 RS Sedan, 99 L Coupe, 98 RS Coupe
222 Posts
My son and I had been looking at it but the seller never answered us. There is another super clean one on Marketplace but its listed for much more...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not trying to rain on any ones parade, but is there such a thing as a 4 door RS in 1999 ? Production figures I`ve seen, seem to indicate 2000 was the first year for a true RS sedan. RS have a specific vin code. IMO, a true RS is worth more than an Impreza that has RS parts added to it. The RS were low production vehicles, and from a collector point of view, more valuable than a clone.
You are correct, the 2.5RS sedan production was only 2000 and 2001. Judging from the pictures I would make an educated guess that it was a 2000 since a good number of 99 cars were still MAF and 00/01 I believe switched completely to MAP sensors.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza seda
24 Posts
3 hours away and at least 7k+ with some rust and such? and you dont know the rest of it? id pass if i were you - just have to figure out the cost/risk assessment to you as a potential owner with an unknown knowledge of the cars background. it may be "mint" but you dont know 100% and its not like you can inspect it further. i would pass op. just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts