Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Rs 01
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have been thinking of replacing all of the speaker in my 01 RS. ANd i was planing on doing it myself. I can regular speakers easy, but componets are more difficult. I was thinking components for the front and regulars for the back.
About the components: Are they hard to install, because I heard that you need to run wires through the car door to somewhere??:wtf::wtf:. IS this true?!?
Also, is the wiring hard to do, or is it simple?

I was thinking of getting MB Quart component speakers, if that helps.

P.S. IS it harder to install components in the rear as well? And is having components all around worth it?

Thanks. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,212 Posts
You don't want to have components in the rear. It will ruin what they call the 'soundstage'. Use comp in the front only, and some 1 ways in the rear.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts
no you do not need to go through the door...just use the wires from the harness that go to the doors (purple,purple-black,green,green-black) something like that I'm not sure of what colors they are just look it up where your deck plugs in.

get alpine type s's for the back and you will be very very happy (not the component ones just the normal coaxial speakers)

·
Registered
832 Posts
All of my equipment is elemental designs (edesignaudio.com). They make awesome stuff at really good prices. I have components up front a subwoofer in the trunk. With decent components you don't even need speakers in the back. I actually removed the rear speakers to let more bass from the sub through, and recarpeted the rear deck.

The guys at elemental designs do great customer service, and the related audio board, icixsound.com, has a ton of information and really helpful users.

·
Registered
Rs 01
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no you do not need to go through the door...just use the wires from the harness that go to the doors (purple,purple-black,green,green-black) something like that I'm not sure of what colors they are just look it up where your deck plugs in.
Thanks for all the information guys. I just had one last question: Would I have to buy additional wires for the tweeters/crossovers/woofer connection?

Thanks a lot, once again.

·
Member Premium
99/07 RSTi, 2013 Cayenne GTS
193 Posts
If you are mounting your crossover IN the door you can stay with the stock wiring. I have my crossovers in the trunk with my amps. MB Quartz are sweet stuff. Anyways, If you are running to an amp, then to a cross over, then to your speaker and tweeter you might as well run some good wires. Personally I run Monster cables from the head unit to the amp in the trunk. Then I have this goofy (best at the time when I did the car) silver and blue wiring that was $1.25 per foot running double up to the front for each side, going through the door boot that all other wires are in and to my tweeter and mid. It's not that hard.
If the crossover is in the door you only need one set per side running from the amp to the front and through the door, then it will split to each component. Hope some of that helps ya out.

-B

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
All of my equipment is elemental designs (edesignaudio.com). They make awesome stuff at really good prices. I have components up front a subwoofer in the trunk. With decent components you don't even need speakers in the back. I actually removed the rear speakers to let more bass from the sub through, and recarpeted the rear deck.

The guys at elemental designs do great customer service, and the related audio board, icixsound.com, has a ton of information and really helpful users.
ed are scammers, they have china make knock off eclipse parts.

rear speakers are just fillers, front components will rock your world.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts

I took out my back ones and put them where the door panels would be if I had a 4 door....(yes it looks sexy);)

·
Registered
Rs 01
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are mounting your crossover IN the door you can stay with the stock wiring. I have my crossovers in the trunk with my amps. MB Quartz are sweet stuff. Anyways, If you are running to an amp, then to a cross over, then to your speaker and tweeter you might as well run some good wires. Personally I run Monster cables from the head unit to the amp in the trunk. Then I have this goofy (best at the time when I did the car) silver and blue wiring that was $1.25 per foot running double up to the front for each side, going through the door boot that all other wires are in and to my tweeter and mid. It's not that hard.
If the crossover is in the door you only need one set per side running from the amp to the front and through the door, then it will split to each component. Hope some of that helps ya out.

-B
I am not planning on adding an amp, just 2 comp's in front and regulars in the rear.
SO basically what you are saying is that all I will have to do is connect the woofer speaker at the bottom to the crossover + the stock speaker wires TO the woofer speaker or to the CROSSOVER? An then crossover to the tweeter inside the door.
I'm just trying to get the order right so i don't screw it up, because i have not done components before, but regulars are easy.
I tried looking for guides and using Search, but no one has explained how components are connected.

Thanks again, great advice btw.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
A lot of high-end SQ guys will tell you that rear speakers are a waste entirely, regardless of type/brand. :)

But... I happen to like having them. For me though, components out back is indeed unnecessary. Stick to coaxials. Components up front are good, though. Get a quality amplifier (or however many you need), and have a good time. Check the FAQs on NASIOC; a few of the guys over there (like daishi00) are VERY knowledgeable.

Be sure you shop around and listen to as many brands as you can! I happen to like Boston Acoustics.

·
Registered
Rs 01
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of high-end SQ guys will tell you that rear speakers are a waste entirely, regardless of type/brand. :)

But... I happen to like having them. For me though, components out back is indeed unnecessary. Stick to coaxials. Components up front are good, though. Get a quality amplifier (or however many you need), and have a good time. Check the FAQs on NASIOC; a few of the guys over there (like daishi00) are VERY knowledgeable.

Be sure you shop around and listen to as many brands as you can! I happen to like Boston Acoustics.
Thanks ^. Would anyone know where there is a good walkthrough or tutorial on how to install components. ?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
NASIOC has some good FAQs, they may have something specific. Otherwise, if you buy from someplace like Crutchfield, they send great instructions.

Be aware that the mounting depth in the doors of Subarus is problematic for some deep speakers. And the speaker spacers most places send you, including Crutchfield, aren't sufficient. www.Kartboy.com sells some that will work.

I happen to prefer components in kick panels, for better sound. You can buy pre-made units from Crutchfield (or other places), or you can have them made. I had mine made, and covered in carpet for resiliency.

·
Registered
Rs 01
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
NASIOC has some good FAQs, they may have something specific. Otherwise, if you buy from someplace like Crutchfield, they send great instructions.

Be aware that the mounting depth in the doors of Subarus is problematic for some deep speakers. And the speaker spacers most places send you, including Crutchfield, aren't sufficient. www.Kartboy.com sells some that will work.

I happen to prefer components in kick panels, for better sound. You can buy pre-made units from Crutchfield (or other places), or you can have them made. I had mine made, and covered in carpet for resiliency.
I plan to buy MB Quarts, since i have read that they are very good speakers and also they are made thinner for the depth issue. And since cruchtfield does not sell them anymore, i plan on buying them from either ebay or other vendors, which may not include any installation guides besides the ones that come within the box. That is why i was asking for some help on how i would set this up myself.

BTW what is the "safe" depth for the 01 Rs doors?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Impreza
9 Posts
I installed a set of Infinity Kappa 60.7 CS Components up front & Infinity Kappa 62.7i Coaxials in the rear. A 12" Kicker Comp CVR Sub & a Kicker ZX700.5 700 watt, 5 channel amp to power it all up. Sound quality is great. Bass is exceptionally sweet. I managed to tuck the crossover units for the components into the kick panels up front. Just gotta route your wiring from there to the speakers. If you can find a spot on the door panel to mount the crossovers for the MB's, you can just use the factory speaker wires. If you intend on installing an amp, you might as well upgrade your wiring too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts