Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I completed my first-ever car maintenance. I installed a new knock sensor on my 2000 Subaru Impreza. I am officially no longer a car maintenance virgin.

I bought this car two weeks ago, and within days the CEL turned on. I borrowed an OBD II code reader from someone at work, diagnosed a P0325 knock sensor failure and ordered all the parts and tools from Amazon (Delphi OE knock sensor, and various Tekton tools: breaker bar, extenders, metric sockets, a magnetic grabber tool, and a torque wrench). I spent about $150 total on everything.

The breaker bar helped as the bolt was really cemented in there. I also had to use 2 extenders to gain access. The old sensor had 3 large cracks on the housing, so no wonder I was getting P0325 error codes. I polished up the mounting surface on the engine block with some fine steel wool, vacuumed up the debris, and installed the new sensor. My torque wrench has markings for Newtons (who uses that?) and inch pounds, so I had to convert from foot pounds: 16 ft-lb = 192 in-lb. Finally, I cleared out the OBD error codes.

I took the car for a 5-mile drive, and I swear that it seemed to be a little more responsive when I accelerated on the Interstate. I'm also looking forward to see what affect this fix has on my gas mileage. I'm averaging 23 MPG combined but am expecting something closer to 25 or 26 MPG.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza OBS
484 Posts
congrats man! never take the first thing for granted, no matter how big or small. dont be afraid to keep getting your hands dirty! :) keep us updated in a journal if you dont already have one

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Majority of the world uses Nm. Probably like 90% of the world. We're the oddballs by not using it.

As for gas mileage, you're about normal at 23 mpg. 23-25 is what I get, depending on how I feel like driving.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
congrats man! never take the first thing for granted, no matter how big or small. dont be afraid to keep getting your hands dirty! :) keep us updated in a journal if you dont already have one
Thanks! Yeah, I need to get a journal started. A number of folks have mentioned this, guess there's no time like the present.

I'm beginning to see why these cars are so popular with the DIY crowd. But the key is to have a site like RS25.com where you can get advice and encouragement.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza OBS
484 Posts
you'll hear this 1000x over and over, these things are HUGE legos :) youll have all kinds of fun with it
if your into getting it dirty (offroad/rally/whatever it may be) check out dirtyimpreza.com if you already havent, also some good info on there

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Yep, definitely legos. My car's using 96, 00, 02, 06, etc parts on it. It's also a mix of UKDM, JDM, USDM, and Euro parts on it.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question: the replacement knock sensor from Delphi included a small packet of something called "Anti-Seize Compound". It looks like some kind of grease.

I had no idea what this was or how to use it, so I just left it alone. What is this, and should I have used it when I installed the new sensor?

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Anti-seize is put onto bolts to keep them from rusting/seizing in place. Just rub it all over the bolt threads, then put the bolt back in.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anti-seize is put onto bolts to keep them from rusting/seizing in place. Just rub it all over the bolt threads, then put the bolt back in.
So I guess I should re-do the installation to apply the compound.

Been there, done that, so this time it should only take 5 minutes. Maybe I'll make a YouTube video this time.

Next time I'll start a thread on RS25.com first... :facepalm:

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I'd redo it, just so the bolt is easier to get out next time.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have another quick question. When I had the hood opened, I noticed that there was some kind of mechanical plunger in the right hand corner of the engine bay next to a rubber ring that the hood rests on when it is closed. It's on the front edge of the frame in front of the battery.

This plunger is pushed down when the hood is closed, and it pops up when the hood is opened.

The entire assembly was really loose and floppy, so I tightened things down while I was in there.

What is this thing and what purpose does it serve? My car has an aftermarket DEI remote access and remote start unit, and maybe this switch is part of that?

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Best to take a picture of it. My guess, it's a hood trigger for an alarm system.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best to take a picture of it. My guess, it's a hood trigger for an alarm system.
I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Another guess: maybe it disables the the remote start if the hood is open. It would suck to have the engine start "accidentally" when you're working on the car just because wifey accidentally dropped the remote FOB.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts