Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just put up a thread in "that other forum" on this same topic, but basically I'm looking for feedback on the STi Type RA gearset.

I asked about a potential trans. upgrade with Exeter Subaru, mentioning the BPM gearset, and they didn't recommend the BPMs. Instead they said to go with an STi RA set, for about $2,000 (installed, I think).

This isn't for anytime in the near future, that I can tell. Unless I hit the lottery. :D I will do it if I keep my car for a while longer, and need to do something with the stock transmission.

In my dreams I'd like to have something like a Cobb N/A Stage 2 setup, with maybe a few Stage 3 upgrades if they're reasonable.
I mostly do long-distance driving, rarely take my car to the track.
Turbo is nice, but I think I'll save that for my next Subaru. With this one, I want to see what I can do with N/A.

First I need a job. :biggest:

Anyway, just looking for input on the RA gears. Thanks!

-S2-

·
Registered
17 Posts
well from all the article and info i have seen the STi gears arent much better than the standard subaur 5-speed gears. so getting them wouldnt be much of an improvement if i was you, if you really are gonna need a new gearset be kind to the tranny for now and save up for a set from MRT or PAR or a comparative set.
just my .02
justin

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're reading the same articles I am, then maybe you've confused something, because I think folks are saying that the old *standard* STi gears are about the same as the RS ones.
But the STi RA gears are the ones I'm talking about, and from all I've been able to discover so far, they're drastically stronger than stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yep sry i was incorrect, i didnt realize the RA ones were. sry id still wait and get an heavy duty synchro set though, since i bet you could get one with a warranty. justin

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
AFAIK, although the sti tranny is really strong, the gears are set to run only to around 120mph. I read that on 'hot 4's' Aussie mag, there's this WRX GC8 guy who has done the conversion and isn't liking the speed limit (set by Japan's strict speeding laws). I don't know if British sti's are any different. You win some, you lose some.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but I'd never drive anywhere close to 120 anyway....

·
Registered
1999/2017 RSTI
221 Posts
its not just that.... you mind driving at 75 mph and your tach is reading 3900 rpms? i heard its the worst thing in life... there a is a guy in hong kong here that wants to trade my RS gears for his STI RA 6 SIX [email protected][email protected]@! too bad i don't carry my trany when i travel...

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It wouldn't bother me a whole lot, no. My old Integra RS sat at about 4200 rpm at that speed, so to me, the RS is quiet. 3900 wouldn't be so bad, just about 400-ish higher than it is now, right?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I guess there's not much of a difference since our top speed for the RS is already around 120-125. It would bother a WRX with a top speed of 140 though. :rolleyes: As for me, only in my dreams will I have an sti tranny.

·
Registered
2000 RS, silver, blah, blah, b
200 Posts
So has the dealership said that the type RA gear set fits in the stock trannie case? Or am I all kinds of broke? Because for $2000 thats not bad, I think. Ehh... who am I kidding, I'm poor as hell.

Brett

·
Registered
67 Posts
Currently with a stock 5speed on a MY98 RS2.5 I hit about 4000rpm's to do 80-85mph. If I decide to upgrade my trans I'd like to drop that a bit. 80mph is almost the standard highway cruising speed here in Michigan and I'd like to be closer to 3000rpm's at that speed if possible.

Are you guys saying that the 6speed STi trans would essentially put me in the same boat I'm in now? If so, what trans would you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brett-

Try contacting Bill Harvey at www.subaruwrxparts.com (Exeter Subaru in NH). He may know about how the STi RA gearset compares to the stock RS one, gearing-wise for revs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
(set by Japan's strict speeding laws)
haha. Routinely do 150km/h in 50km/h zones. Theres no police patrolling the streets, and in the last 7 months ive been here, ive only ever seen 1 speed trap.

;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts