Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Do not put the STi thickness gaskets on the EJ25D. You will hear tapping from either the piston on the head or piston on the valves. Been there.....done that.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Why not just go with the OEM gaskets (I did). It's been claimed that Subaru has fixed the problem from the older ones. Hopefully thats true!!

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your setup? Top and bottom end?
What do you mean? Its a stock 01 SOHC motor that is leaking coolant out the HG's... I used crappy graphite gaskets and wanna just spend a few bucks to get something a little better.

Also I am sure the revised OEM ones are better but MLS are known to be the strongest HG's for our cars. I have even heard of people RE-USING them without issues!

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know of a vendor that will have MLS HG's for a MY01 SOHC EJ25 shipped to my door for about $100?

That is pretty much what I am willing to spend. Obviously a little less wouldn't hurt.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Don't buy them from ebay buy them from a real vendor and they can hook you up with what you want. Or just buy a set of revised oem ones.
They're not ebay gaskets, its a gasket vendor who sells them on ebay. Cometic gaskets are sold on ebay as well. In fact, those mls gaskets looked exactly like the oem ones that came off my ej20k. I contacted them about some for 2 liter and they couldn't get them.

No one here is going to promote the ones sold on fleabay because they are scared of being blamed for telling you they might work. Like someone said, the oem ones have been revised. You can actually contact cometic directly and they will tell you if they have the correct thickness for you. Or just go to their site and enter your engine model to check.

C4264-040 is the part number cometic lists on their site for ej25. Call them to double check that the thickness is correct. Here's their number: (440) 354-0777 Back when I priced a set for my engine, it was just a little over $100 shipped.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank You.

I was looking on the Cometic website and they don't list them as gaskets for the IMPREZA. Just as a general EJ25 gasket. I will call them today and find out if they will fit or not.

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,212 Posts
What do you mean? Its a stock 01 SOHC motor that is leaking coolant out the HG's... I used crappy graphite gaskets and wanna just spend a few bucks to get something a little better.

Also I am sure the revised OEM ones are better but MLS are known to be the strongest HG's for our cars. I have even heard of people RE-USING them without issues!
Oh! It's stock? Use OEM. Heck. I can even send you a set I have laying around here, just pay for shipping.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Thank You.

I was looking on the Cometic website and they don't list them as gaskets for the IMPREZA. Just as a general EJ25 gasket. I will call them today and find out if they will fit or not.
That's because you buy headgaskets for the motor...not the car. If one doesn't know that, they should just drop the car off at a mechanic and pay for the job to be done.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know that. I just wanted to make sure they were for an EJ251 and not a 257 or something. I am not THAT much of a noob ;)

·
Registered
1998 impreza rs
31 Posts
I also want to get cometic HG. Anyone have cometic HG installed in their rs? If so how is it, running strong? Is oem HG MLS?

·
EJ Money Pit
05 LGT Limited OBP 5 Speed
1,085 Posts
Holy old thread. Honestly I have heard nothing but bad things about cosmetic head gaskets. Go for OEM.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Cosmetic gaskets? Never heard of them..... Guess they suck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts