Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas.

I live wayy up in da U.P. So if you think its been cold, its been colder here. Well the cold and my subaru usualy work just fine but recently its had trouble starting. ( im talking in like -10 to -20 F ) I have to crank it for 20 seconds at a time and it kind of catches and misses alot. then finaly revs up and runs great.

Now Today. Normal day around 0F. Hard start this morning. cranked for over 10 second 3 or 4 times. did start. I drove but not long enough, as in im sure the car did not reach operating temperature. maybe 2 miles from the lot to my house.

During this time for some reason my blower fan did not come on. At all. lights worked. all electrical stuff in the car worked. but the fan was off in every position of the dial.

Then i went skiing and the car sat for a solid 3 hours. got cold. Temps went down to around -5 / -7. and now its dead in the winter.

I tried some starter fluid in the intake, sparked off the wire, but the exhaust did not smell like fuel at all.
I'm worried im not getting any fuel and im more worried it has something to do with the ****ed up electrics that were going on earlier that day.

Checked fuel pump fuse. ok.

IDEAS!!! ???

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car is a 2001 Subaru Legacy. With the Map sensor'ed EJ 251 motor. Same thing as in the RS's of the same year. Auto.

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the boost my thread to the top, but I need some ideas on this tonight or by tomorrow morning when I head out there to try some more stuff.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
If you think it's electrical, first thing I'd do is put a charge on it, swap in a fresh battery or worst case jump it.

If you have access to electricity, put a trouble light safely under it overnight and try to heat up the engine bay a few degrees.

If there's any chance there's bad gas, try an additive to thaw it out. If you want to get crazy, pull the fuel line and run it into a container and have someone cycle the key to see if you have pressure. Be careful.

Once you get it running, install a block heater.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
When was the last time the car got a fresh battery...?

De do go bad ya know

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery is about 2 1/2 years old. But it cranks over quick. We did do a jump also to no avail.

Unfortunatly in the parking lot there it is not practical to get heat or warmth out to the car.

Bad gas is a possibility. We have had a few gas stations in the area known for that in the past.

Thanks folk's. I'll try to get out there again tonight to give it another shot.

Is there an easier way to check for fuel pressure? or is pulling the return like as easy as it can get? I cave an OBDII reader which can display fuel pressure if the car is equiped with a sensor. Don;t know if our cars are though.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
Do you hear your fuel pump prime when you first turn the key?

Have you checked all fuses? Under the hood too?

Not sure what to think of the blower fan not working at all..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
I'm going to tell you something really redundant, but still holds alot of water. When was the last time you did a full tune up? Plugs, plug wires, FUEL FILTER, air filter, those 4 things alone are cheap and will usually fix any cold start problems.

The reason I say this is because I can relate to your weather, but not your starting issues. Last week it was -20 and -30 F here in Montana. Every single morning, my car would start in under 3 seconds. A good batter and a properly tuned up car, will start every time in the harshest of conditions.

If your car is properly tuned, then check for codes and vacuum leaks. And the blower motor may just be shitting the bed, but that is an easy R&R.

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point. Spark plugs were replaced, at 90K so about 40 K ago. Should be fine. We tested the spark looked strong arcing from the coil pack to ground. fuel filter, not sure I never did it and i've had the car for 20 K miles, but it got the 100K full dealership service before that. air filter is new and good. Vacume leaks non existent. and that would impact the idle I belive. I've been at college and my car has been sitting outside for a while with few and short trips. I have about 2-3 month old gas in the tank. Filled it up from some cans that were around from when I garaged my bike and drained the tank. Could the gas be real stale? It ran on it just fine once it was started up and going.

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But you're right I will invest in some parts and once it gets warm the engine will get a good tune up. I pay attention oiling the bushings, checking bearings and break calipers and lines. Really I work on the car all the time, on everything but the engine.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
The first i'd do is change the fuel filter, even if it doesnt fix the issue, with 40k on it, it needs to be changed. For $20 it's a win/win situation.

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
my friend is having the same problem, we changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, I also tried my wires and coil pack and still nothing. ran 93 octane after the fuel pump was replaced and now it has a full tank of 87. it is really frustrating

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. New fuel filter will be purchased and implemented. its a solid 25 degrees warmer today. + 15. so i'm hoping it'll start right up, maybe with some convincing from the ether can.

Did you're friends issue go away after the tank of 93 octane? I think whats compounding the issue is that i have old gas, and I haven't driven alot lately.
What conditions are cause for condensation in the tank?
Mine's been 1/2 full.
car stored outside with temp changes from -15 at night to 5 ish in the day. Every day my car has tons of frost on it inside and outside. Could it be in tank too?

·
Registered
AW11 Mr2
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car did start right up. I'll go through and see to it that once it warms up to at least 30 or 40 i'll get the usual tune up stuff done.
Unfortunately not much i can do while its this cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts