Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably sounds dumb to most of you, but I'm curious. I've got a Stromung cat-back in my 2001 2.5RS that sounds really nice. I added a COBB CAI and it definitely helped a little in the power department, but the thing SCREAMS at high RPM. Frankly I'd rather hear the exhaust than the intake, especially since the intake sounds 'ricey'. I know a big part of the quieter stock intake is the baffles and restrictions quieting it down and the CAI eliminates that. Is there an aftermarket intake that'll provide similar power gains without all the noise, or am I stuck with increased flow meaning increased noise? Lame I know, but it's worth checking.

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
I've wondered that myself, and I'd think that the COBB CAI might be one of the "quieter" systems. I have a generic short ram intake on my car and you cant hear the exhaust in the higher RPM's.

There aren't too many choices for CAI's for our cars, and all of them are pretty much designed the same. The only intake I think might sound different would be the V2 intake from AEM, but they don't manufacture them for Subaru's.

· Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
242 Posts
My Injen screams at WOT also, but ever since ive gotten my stromung catback with borla replicas and stromung trackpipe, i cant hear my intake anymore. I dont know if that means it is necessarily quieter than other intakes, maybe that just means my exhaust is louder than yours.

· Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,505 Posts
Yes, the COBB is a loud bitch. Not much that you can do about that.

I swapped mine for an Injen, which was possibly a bit louder, but then I lined the insides of the area the filter sits in with acoustical foam, and it's much much much better.

The best thing about the injen was that I no longer had any rattle behind the glovebox =)

Sorry, no sound clips at the moment.

I do have clips of my old cobb intake before and after baffling the fender:
http://dave.oc7.org/stuff/cobbcai.notsilenced.mp3
http://dave.oc7.org/stuff/cobbcai.silenced.mp3

Not too much of a difference in volume, but some rasp was removed.

-- Dave

· Anti-Nonsense
2004 2.5 RS, 1973 L48 Corvette
1,442 Posts
Maybe if you were able to find a system made of a composite material rather than metal it might not resonate so much. I dunno. Just thinking out loud. Its possible.

· Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,505 Posts
Maybe if you were able to find a system made of a composite material rather than metal it might not resonate so much. I dunno. Just thinking out loud. Its possible.
It's not just the material of the intake itself that resonates, it's the body panels of the car/engine compartment...

The only real way to "fix" it is to add an absorption layer, or by mass-loading the panels with lots of weight =P

-- Dave

· Registered
'01 BRP Coupe
2,486 Posts
My Injen screams at WOT also, but ever since ive gotten my stromung catback with borla replicas and stromung trackpipe, i cant hear my intake anymore. I dont know if that means it is necessarily quieter than other intakes, maybe that just means my exhaust is louder than yours.
Yeah, I have the same setup minus the trackpipe, and I only really hear it if I'm driving in a confined road, such as between fenced neighborhoods, etc. I guess you hear whatever you are paying particular attention to.

· Registered
'01 BRP Coupe
2,486 Posts
Actually, since the trackpipe is the only difference between our setups, do you have any audio clips of your exhaust?

· Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
873 Posts
I switched to a PDM racing one that uses the stock torque box...its damn quiet...close to stock and its a CAI I was thinking of getting rid of it...so PM if interested cause I kinda miss the noise lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.