Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Anti-Nonsense
2004 2.5 RS, 1973 L48 Corvette
438 Posts
No it wont work. The WRX/STi air intake is routed differently due to the turbocharger system. You need something that would either connect directly to your throttle body (check out Injen for this) or something that connects to your filter box (Ganzflow). I would reccomend the injen myself, but people use the Ganzflows and report good results with them.

Rallitek carries the Injen
http://www.rallitek.com/iminsy.html

Ganzflow can be found here
http://www.subaruplanet.com/ganzflowintake.htm

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS Black
48 Posts
i also have an 05 RS. Does the 05 RS come stock with a cold air intake? because the intake goes into the fender well. Also, which is better: a intake that goes to the fender OR a short ram intake??

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
cai is way better than short ram. i noticed more of a diff going from sri to cai than i did going from stock to sri. that intake in that link looks like its just the second half of the cai, because it says that it will also fit a wrx/sti.

·
Anti-Nonsense
438 Posts
what about the:

http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=1719+2277+11735+4294967008+946

that fits for the 2.5rs, but has anyone used it, or have you heard of it?
I have never heard of or seen that intake. I would be wary of it because it says it fits both the WRX/STi and the RS. Thats a big red flag because the intakes for the turbo motors go under the intake manifold into the turbo, whereas the NA setup does not have enough room under the manifold for an intake tube to pass through. Long story short, anything designed for a turbo application will NOT fit an NA setup and anything designed for an NA application will not fit a stock turbo setup. I would never buy any product that says it would fit both a Subaru NA motor and its turbo counterpart.

As for the question about short ram vs CAI, it all depends on what you want. Short rams do not suffer as much from low end power loss like the longer CAI's do. But their advantage at the top of the RPM range disappears unlike the CAI's. Why? Its all related to the lengths of the respective intakes and what the length does to the intake air velocity across the RPM band. CAI's are longer than short rams, hence airflow efficiency at low RPM is not as good as the short ram. Its important to note that these losses are not too much however. CAI presents the risk hydrolocking or ingestion of water into the engine, but it would take a significant amount of water to do that I think. I have never heard of it happening.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
You can modify your stock air box to run CAI and use a less restrictive filter then stock. Use a straight piece of 3" ABS from the box into the inner-fender (or 90 degrees pointed to the back of the car).

Use some silicone (black) to seal the box and pipe. Use any non-oiled filter (MAF cars), HKS, paper STI, etc.

This is of course after a 'snorkus' delete. It will run as well as a $250 CAI or short ram intake. Be sure to reset the ECU. I just ran Injen for the 'bling'...

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS Black
48 Posts
You can modify your stock air box to run CAI and use a less restrictive filter then stock. Use a straight piece of 3" ABS from the box into the inner-fender (or 90 degrees pointed to the back of the car).

Use some silicone (black) to seal the box and pipe. Use any non-oiled filter (MAF cars), HKS, paper STI, etc.

This is of course after a 'snorkus' delete. It will run as well as a $250 CAI or short ram intake. Be sure to reset the ECU. I just ran Injen for the 'bling'...
How do you reset the ECU?

·
Anti-Nonsense
438 Posts
Disconnect the battery, depress the brake pedal, and turn the ignition as if you were trying to start the car and hold it there for five seconds. You should see your electric odometer go blank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the reset...
Does the ECU set it self back up to the bast fuel mileage and rpm settings, or do you have to know how to set it up so you don't have junky gas mileage?

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
just buy an ebay intake and put a better filter on it! You will save a ton of money... a pipe is a pipe. Then buy a AEM sticker and put it on! Kazam! You have the same thing for less then half the price!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and another question, I live in Reno, NV where it snows. So going with CAI, couldn't the wet snow clog up my air filter say if I drove up to go snowboarding?

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
A snorkus delete intake is a good idea. I have a PDM intake which is basically a 3" aluminum pipe that runs to the stock airbox. I'm in the process of retrofitting a 3" elbow into the airbox to get even more flow while still retaining the box. Well here's a link to my newly finished intake making it a true 3": http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84807

The Ganzflow is in fact a snorkus delete intake. Now let me propose one other less expensive idea. If your good with a hacksaw you could probably buy a couple 3" aluminum 45º bends (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Aluminum-Elbow-Pipe-Air-Intake-Intercooler-45dg-bent_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ025QQitemZ380042123656) and cut them down to fit and assemble them using a 3" to 3" coupler (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Silicone-Coupler-Reducer-Adapter-Intake-Intercooler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ38634QQihZ025QQitemZ380013312244) and a 3" to 2.5" coupler (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-to-3-Coupler-Reducer-Air-Intake-Pipe-Intercooler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ38634QQihZ012QQitemZ220262338196) to attach to the stock airbox. It would probably be $50-75 for the whole thing. I'm just thinking I have an 04 so I have a MAP sensor. An MAF car would require a slightly different approach. Mounting the MAF between the two 45's should be easy enough though with the right couplers.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
:hijack: Where can I get 3" aluminium piping? I'm making one of these myself. I bought PVC piping, but something tells me its not going to work out well.

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
:hijack: Where can I get 3" aluminium piping? I'm making one of these myself. I bought PVC piping, but something tells me its not going to work out well.
PVC or ABS work just fine. I had that before I went to aluminum. It's kinda ugly though.

As for aluminum pipe...ebay has it. 45's, 90's, straight lengths, couplings etc.

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
and another question, I live in Reno, NV where it snows. So going with CAI, couldn't the wet snow clog up my air filter say if I drove up to go snowboarding?
Well I've only had mine on for a year, and I haven't had any issues in the snow last winter or the heavy rain we've gotten lately. I dont snowboard tho, so i dunno about how tahoe would affect it. As long as you keep your fenderwell out of water and snow, it should be fine. Injen also sells a hydroshield to cover the filter, and I put that on so that may make a difference.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
PVC or ABS work just fine. I had that before I went to aluminum. It's kinda ugly though.

As for aluminum pipe...ebay has it. 45's, 90's, straight lengths, couplings etc.
I found an "intercooler piping kit" for a Honda. I might buy that. It comes with tons of o clamps, couplers, piping and other stuff for $60. More than enough supplies to make it... tempting.

·
Anti-Nonsense
438 Posts
Its a possibility I suppose. I live in Colorado and I drove my car up 70 miles to the mountains almost every weekend this past winter. Never had a problem. Its important to note I have a Cobb intake though, which does not go deep down into the fender. If you are worried about that, just do the snorkus delete like everyone here is saying. Its a good cheap alternative to an aftermarket intake, and people claim good gains with them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts