Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Gm6 5Spd BRP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time lurker on here at RS25 and I really need your help with this one. please forgive me if this has been covered in another post, I did a healthy amount of searching and haven't found anything explicitly toward my situation.

I purchased a set of ISC N1 pillow ball coilovers for my2000 2.5rs. I installed them, got the car aligned; rides great. The car is a total different animal, grips the turns, smooth but kind of rough obviously. Just today driving too work i noticed pulling into the parking lot, I heard a faint squeak sound coming from the front end of the car. It is so subtle of a sound you really need to listen for it. I was able to shake the car and get a minor squeak and I am not sure what that may be or even too be concerned really. Could the collars be coming undone, something loose? These coils maybe only have 25 miles on them? This is a weekend warrior car. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
43 Posts
Every time someone installs a new part, they hear a new sound they never heard before, OR, they * think * they hear a new sound they * think * they never heard before.

Squeaks are difficult animals to track down. Could be almost anything, especially when it comes to suspension parts.

Being this is so new an upgrade, I would just not be too concerned at this point. Could be nothing more than a little settling in and nothing more.

Keep an eye on it for now. Take notice if it gets worse.

What you could do is simply re-check all the bolts and make sure everything is tightened down properly. Not uncommon for things to loosen up a bit after initial install. If you check your install directions, they probably tell you to re-check the bolts after X miles.

·
Registered
2000 Gm6 5Spd BRP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was told new sounds were going to be a new thing. I’ll dtart by checking the bolts and all this weekend. Thanks for the help.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Coilovers can be noisy because they are made for performance enhancement with little concern for durability or comfort. I had some ISC as well and when first purchased they didn't have "thrust bearings" on top. They were sold new without them and the bearing wasn't an option at first. When installing I found it odd there was no bearing up top and the coilover would actually spin back and forth on the spring...and make noise and bind some. Later they started offering a "thrust bearing" that mounts on top and gets rid of the noise and the bind. Unfortunately, the steel thrust bearings wear into the top of the softer aluminum spring perch, because they aren't sealed and all of the road debris and water sling into them. This creates more noise later on, and I could feel the steering effort inconsistency with normal daily driving.

They helped the car handle better and weren't super harsh, but definitely something I'd only install on a weekend track toy if ever purchased again.

The KW coilovers are pricey but more suited for daily driven vehicles, totally different design. Just depends on what you use the car for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts