Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been at that other club forever. And for some stupid reason I don't know what coil-over options there are. I'm looking for a fully adjustable setup and not just the sleave crap that's out there.

So I was wondering what's out there. I know there's DMS (huge but too expensive), Tien (not big enough), and STi (only height adjustable), but what else is out there? I know that there are other companies that make them. I know Cusco has them, but I don't know who carries them. So I'm looking for a nice set that's big, but not too expensive and pointing me to a good vendor would help too.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Ground Control is about the cheapest you can go. there is also Leda for more money. Ohlins is supposedly coming out with some DMS 40/50 competition, but i haven't heard anything about that in awhile.

what you're going to use it for will have the greatest impact on which setup you want to go with.

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is a commuter car and it'll stay that way for a least a while longer. So I'm pretty much planning to keep the car slightly lowered on the street and auto-x and move it back up to stock height for occasional rally-x. That's why I want to keep it adjustable. Besides, I kinda like to fly off curbs and pound over speed bumps so I wonder if I'm gonna even lower it for the street.

LEDAs are a good option for the price. I think and I might want to see what Ohlins has to offer too.

Anyone else with suggestions?

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Hey now spiralsmurf, don't get too smurfy with that price. I have 3 sets of FLT-A2s for the GC8 at that price. I have one set of GDA at that price. After that, they go back to $1650.

DoorKnob: The JIC coils are the best you can buy for the money. You can adjust the ride height while retaining suspension travel. They are inverted struts which make them lighter and stronger. They include pillow ball top hats with front camber adjustability. The pillow balls are of the highest quality and make almost no noise at all. I have had a couple of Tein owners switch over to JIC just for noise and harshness problems. All of them are Very happy with their JICs. I am local to JIC and can get you custom spring rates faster than any vendor. I am also very knowledgable on installation and setup for these, phone calls for help are always welcome. A customer of mine and I are making an online instruction guide that will be up on my site very soon. Let me know if I can help you.
[email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Kevin, how hard is it to rebuild/revalve the JIC's? Are they rebuildable by the average joe (or Brian) or shhould they be sent to a professional? How much would someone charge? Are they adjustable for bump and reboud as well as height?

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
I've never tried rebuilding them, but if you are even considering doing it yourself, you must have some know how. We do sell replacement cartridges for when the time comes. Both compression and rebound are adjustable at the same time, they are not seperate.
Kevin
www.pkZero.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kevin,

Since you are so close, can you tell me a little about JIC?

They're website is pretty incomplete.

Also in particular what ar ethe spring rates in lb/in of the various GC8 suspension kits?

TIA

-Drew

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Sorry I took so long to reply to this...

Ok, raising and lowering the JICs is done by adjusting the strut into the strut mount allowing you to keep all of your suspension travel. They are 15 way compression and rebound adjustable, and the adjusters are on the bottom of the strut. This saves you the hassle of taking out the back seat to change dampeing settings. They include QUIET pillow ball mounts (top hats) with front camber adjustability. The inverted mono tube design completely resists foaming, is lighter and stronger than other designs. Stainless steel construction ensures they won't rust, unlike Teins. Spring rates are 8/6k. I can get you any spring rate you desire, as long as you tell me before ordering. If you are not hard core, I suggest the 7/5k setup. Let me know if there is anything I left out. Also, once you purchase these from me, you always have my support for installation and tuning. I am happy to answer questions by phone or email.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kevin,

Thanks for the info!

Any spring rate I want huh? Ideally I'd set it up with 300 lb/in springs front and 275-300 lb/in rear. The rates you listed don't particularly make sense to me. Over 110 lb/in difference front to rear seems like a recipe for excessive understeer.

What about JIC in particular, background of the company etc. the product sounds great but I'd like to know little more about the construction, and the designers.

In other news, while my H&R coilover kit performs awesome during autocross and track events, the street ride quality is too harsh even for me. That's why I'm researching other stuff.

I was over at www.Rallispec.com and they have a very interesting looking STI Tarmac competition suspension. 285 lb/in front 275 lb/in rear, and struts to match.

-Drew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts