Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Impreza with 130k AWD.
I have been dealing with a P0440 code, and it won't pass emissions. I've replaced the gas cap, smoke tested it with no visible leaks. Also replaced the purge control solenoid, and gas filler neck and replaced and clamped down most of the hoses leading to teh vapor canister, but he CEL comes back after 2-3 days after I clear it. It only seems to come on when the tank is less than half full. My tags are three weeks past expired, and I'm not sure what to do next. :help:

I love not being able to take my ride out for the holiday.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I've always had that code but I have no leaks and also had my fuel cap replaced. To prevent it from coming back I always buy gas until it fills up the whole gas tank. When ever I would buy gas and not fill up all the way full the code would come back on for me. I just used my scanguageII to delete the code if it ever comes back on me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i finally fixed the problem! i figured out that the Vent Control Solenoid right above thevapor canister was not functioning. I was dead. I replaced it and deleted the code and it passed emissions 3 days later after its cycle..

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
You are god my friend. This may very well be the difference between my car being a paper weight or not come next march when it's emissions time.

Where did you find the part may I ask?

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
i finally fixed the problem! i figured out that the Vent Control Solenoid right above thevapor canister was not functioning. I was dead. I replaced it and deleted the code and it passed emissions 3 days later after its cycle..
Throwing the p0440 also now. I hope this is my problem and it won't cost a lot to fix. My car is bogging at lower RPMs on some occasions and feels like it wants to stall.

·
Registered
01 ts sedan impeza
11 Posts
I had this code, I checked all the related components and found my vent control solnoid valve wasn't fuctioning, I inspected it and found it was my wiring harness that was the cause. under the right rear of the car you will find this evap canister behind the rear right wheel and the plug with the 3 wires going in to it may be damaged or severed. I went to the junk yard and removed a good length of wire with plug from a legacy and then replaced my plug with it, how much do one of those solenoids things cost to replace.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I had this code, I checked all the related components and found my vent control solnoid valve wasn't fuctioning, I inspected it and found it was my wiring harness that was the cause. under the right rear of the car you will find this evap canister behind the rear right wheel and the plug with the 3 wires going in to it may be damaged or severed. I went to the junk yard and removed a good length of wire with plug from a legacy and then replaced my plug with it, how much do one of those solenoids things cost to replace.
Yeah I went to check that canister also to see if all of the wires were good (just installed a rsb so we were back there around the canister and may have popped something loose) and they looked good from what I could see. I am going to jack it up tomorrow so I can get a better look at it. I am not sure how much they cost to replace but my buddy on here told me that a purge solenoid was $130 from the dealer.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
I just bought everything to do the filler neck to try and get rid of the code. hopefully its the problem. it is quite rusty tho.

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
I'm also throwing this code :( but on top of that I'm having trouble getting gasoline into my car. It seems like the code only comes on when I drive at a constant RPM...any ideas?

·
Registered
1999 Impreza RS black
15 Posts
my check engine light was on for quite some time because of this... i just bought a new purge solenoid and need to figure out what im gonna do with the wire harness deal.. :confused:

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
Big props to you man! I've had this prob/cel for many many years lol infact I might still have it, just havent checked the codes in awhile. Wires behind my charcoal canister in the rear were severed...fixed the wires but cel came back??? I'll check my solenoids one of these days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
May I ask howto check the purge solenoid?
Is it the one on top of the canister? Or the one at the end, on the right hand side, of the canister (this one has 2 wires)?

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
May I ask howto check the purge solenoid?
Is it the one on top of the canister? Or the one at the end, on the right hand side, of the canister (this one has 2 wires)?

disconnect the connector for the fuel pump harness, the solenoid is connected there. find the wire that goes the solenoid. check the resistance for the sensor, it should fal in the range of 10 to 100 ohms, if its more or less the sensor is bad. pm me your email and i can send you the odbII diagnostic manuals for a 98rs, they should be pretty close if not the same.

i swapped the wiring harness from a 98 rs in to my 96L, but my L didnt have any of the emissions equipment that the rs did, even thought its obdII. i actually took a couple of solenoids that were left over from my swap, clipped the tabs off the connectors and they plugged right in. i have not thrown a cel since i did this...

the solenoid with the black connector came off an intake manifold and plugged right in, it measured about 45 ohms.
the solenoid with the brown connector came from the plate attached to the passenger side fender, it had three tabs on the solenoid that i trimmed off for it to fit, that solenoid measured around 34 ohms.

·
Registered
'10 EVO X GSR, '15 Fiesta 1.0T
113 Posts
I had this code a few months back, it was the fuel pump gasket. I knew right away since i smelled fuel in the car when the rear seat was out.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
MY16 Impreza Sport Limited
4,773 Posts
ok guys I've had this problem for about a month now, this thread is somewhat confusing, but my filler neck is also rusted as hell. Any input on where I can get the parts for a new filler neck which I really hope its my problem.

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero
76 Posts
I just had my codes pulled the other day, and P0440 was one of them. The previous owner of the car had changed the fuel filler neck just before I bought it because it had rusted right through, butI suspect he never had the code cleared. I haven't driven it enough since I had the codes cleared, so I don't know if the CEL will come back with a P0440 again. It will most likely come back anyways, as there were two other codes, so I'll have to have them pulled again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts