Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i just bought a 97 Subaru Impreza and it has out of state plates. Now my tags are expired and it wont pass DEQ cause of the P0440 code. I changed the gas cap and erased the code and drove it about a week with no check engine light. Today i took it to DEQ and still says unready evap emissions code! So i drove it home and on the HWy the check engine light turned back on and i checked it read P0440 evap. I checked the canister in the back and it doesnt seem to be clogged but lines are a bit corroded. Please help me anyone please!!

· Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
699 Posts
check the connectors on it..if those wires get cut or broke it will throw the code. check the gas pipe for a hole.i get this code to but only when it rains heavy. i have no gas filler cover in the fender well maybe thats why i get it.

· Banned
5,165 Posts
Be sure when you fill up your gas to fill it up all the way full. This code will pop up when your car doesn't have enough air pressure in the gas tank. I've had this code for a while and it usually comes and goes.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies! i did check the gas pipe for any holes and the pipe looks like its in good condition. Theres no leaking of gas or smell of gas so thats good. Well when i first got eh code i got it erased and it popped back up within a few miles of driving it. After a few failed attempts at the DEQ i bought the new gas cap and erased the code i drove it for about a week do drive cycle it and the day i decide to take it to the DEQ the same code to came back.I thought i was in luck with the gas cap. Im going to take it to a suby shop tmrw to get a smoke test done to it worth $85 im praying it helps or im in deep shit! Thanks for replies guys!

· Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
2,573 Posts
I have the same exact issue. I would try checking your purge control solineoid valve. I'm reading this manual that says it's built into the intake manifold. I think It has some sort of turning knob on it. I think mine is busted.

· Registered
'95 Impreza 2.2L AWD/4EAT
96 Posts
My CE light has been on over 6 yrs b/c of that code. It came up after I swapped in a '98 2.2 drivetrain into my '95. I had the dealer check the problem several years ago but they couldn't find anything wrong.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive tried to locate the purge control solenoid valve and i found what looks like to be the valve. It was bolted right under the exhaust manifold on the passanger side. It has a small electrical plug on it and two intlets for hoses its about an inch and a half in length. Would that be it? Ive noticed the the evap code and the CEL only comes on when the it gets below half a tank, because i got the code deleted and ive driven it around for about two days with an almost full tank ive driven it about 90 miles and the light has not come on?? I also took the gas cap off to see if there was any pressure in the tank and it made a hissing sound which is good. I thank you all for the help

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
the evap not ready code means that the evap readiness monitor has not seen the requirements to run its test. Requirements usually include things like fuel level between 15 and 85 percent, a certain engine RPM... etc etc. A smoke test SHOULD be able to find ANY problems with the evap system as long as the person using the machine knows what they are doing.

The purge control solenoid is a normally closed solenoid and when the evap runs the test it opens the purge control solenoid opens, creates vacuum in the system and then closes it and monitors it with a pressure sensor to see if vacuum drops. If the solenoid is stuck closed, the system cannot be put under vacuum and the test cannot run....therefore the readiness monitor will display :NOT READY. IF this is the problem, a smoke test wont show anything because there is no leak in the system, the problem is the solenoid wont open.

This solenoid should:
when unplugged.....not allow air through
when plugged in AND energized....allow air through.

if all of this works fine, dealer probably has to do their reflash jaun.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow man thanks for the lay down! SCREW EMISSIONS!! There are cars out on the road blowing smoke out there tail pipes like crazy and they keep failing me because my evap is unready...fucked up. I got a question jUst wondering from what year to what year of impreza or other model will the purge control solenoid valve have the same fit? Because i went to a local auto wrecking and i pulled one out of a 96 impreza and it didnt fit..the plug connector on the valve was to large thanks for the help!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so i got a ne solenoid valve for it the check engine light came on a day before i put it in. Now ive put the new vavle in...should i delete the code cycle give it a drive cycle and see it the code comes back or should i leave the code and see if it will turn off?

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
you can do either. The code will not go away for 40 drive cycles of no fault driving. However, the light will go out after 3 consecutive no fault drive cycles. So you can either drive it for a few days and wait to see if it goes out. Or you can clear it and see if it comes back. The quickest way is to clear it.

Did you just get a new one for the hell of it or did you test it and find that it was bad?

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
it used to be so nice when i had a subie daily driver, id just go outside and take pics.

Its under the passenger side of the intake manifold. ONe line goes to the evap charcoal canister, the other goes to the intake manifold.

I should also mention that 96+ cars have enhanced evaporative emissions which add in a vent solenoid which is the opposite of the purge solenoid. This is normally open ( allows air to pass when de energized) and closed when energized.

· Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
2,573 Posts
I've looked for it there before and could never find any pressure lines that where being routed back into the manifold. All of them came from the block and went to the manifold. What does the canister look like? I thought this was on the rear end of the car by the gas tank???? I'm so confused.

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
on newer subarus it is in the rear, the solenoid could possibly be there too. If you dont have a black cylinder looking thing (size of a coffee can) behind your passenger headlight....its probably under your rear bumper on the passenger side.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i took one off another impreza at the local yard. So your not able to blow ari through or suck air through the two plastic tips when its not in the car correct? whats the best way to test it again>? when i took the old one out i was able to suck air right through it and on the used new one i couldnt
96Imprezadent
Mobile Diagnosis Guy ....thanks for the help man.

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
I looked outside at a manifold i had laying around, think its a blue colored sensor.

Yeah it shouldn't let air through when its unplugged. Just unplug, blow....it shouldn't let air pass. You have to make sure its the right one though because there are other solenoids (different colors though) that look the same and allow air to pass when unplugged.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.