1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY04 PSM Version 8 WRX Premium

Current Power Levels
Crank numbers: 285 HP (+23%) / 285 lb-ft (+31%)
Wheel numbers: 224.4 @ 5500 RPM (+54.5) / 223.2 @ 5100 RPM (+49.0)

Modification list:

Engine/Drivetrain:
Cobb SF Intake
Cobb heat box
Cobb SS Downpipe
Cobb Catback
Cobb Polyuratane hangers
Cobb Access Port v2 w/ Stage 2 91 octane map
STI catless uppipe
Grimmspeed exhaust gaskets
Duralast Gold Group Size 35 Battery
SPT turbo heat shield
STi high pressure radiator cap
RS Type oil cap
Subaru Xtra-S 75W-90
Subaru ATF with OEM filter
Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic
WIX oil filter
Paranoid Fabrications basic grounding kit
Blox Racing magnetic drain plug

Suspension:
SPO Motorsports adjustable rear swaybar
Whiteline 20mm rear swaybar bushings
Heavy duty endlinks
Cusco Type OS rear strut bar
JDM STI C-Spec front strut bar

Brakes:
StopTech Street Performance pads
Centric Premium rotors
GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace

Wheels/Tires
16x7" OEM 2000 RS 6 spokes painted Duplicolor graphite
Hankook Ventus Evo v12 205/55/16
16x6.5" OEM 2004 WRX 5-spokes painted Midnight Metallic
Firestone Winterforce 205/55/16
TireRack extended lug nuts

Interior/Exterior:
Rally Armor basic mudflaps
Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H1
Hella Standard H3
Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500k 9005
Yellow tinted foglights
LED dome, map, trunk, and license plate bulbs
Garmin Street Pilot GPS
Cobra XRS 9485 radar detector

Commentary:
Well, after 6 years, I finally own a WRX. When I started driving, I had a 1995 Impreza LX and when that was totaled, I picked up a 1998 Impreza OBS. The '95 had some simple stuff done to it; a WRX rear sway, Prodrive exhaust, etc.. but I never took it autocrossing. With the '98, I had my first autocross experience and did some more extensive mods, including AGX adjustable struts, GF210 springs, full Prodrive catback, and front/rear strut braces, just to name a few. The car servied me well for 3 years through my masters degree and first year of full-time work. After saving for that first year, it was time for an upgrade.

I bought the WRX on July 7, 2012 with 94k locally. The guy who had it before me was also 24 and purchased it from an elderly couple who were about 65! He added the entire Cobb Stage 2 package. It didn't come with any suspension work, the stock wheels (one of which was replaced due to damage), and new totally crappy all season tires. Luckily we all know most of the stuff from the older models swaps over!

A lot of you might be wondering if moving from a GC to GD is right for you - I had my doubts considering the numerous threads on here. I have to say, the WRX is 10x better than my OBS, even with the relatively stock suspension. The interior is amazing. The windows actually work! This one has A/C!

I'll still miss my GC and GF to some extent... they were great cars. But the WRX great as a daily driver.

Future Plans:
Stage 4 turbo upgrade, bigger injectors, massive FMIC, and 30 PSI of boost. Just kidding! Actually it's right just the way it is. I'm just going to drive it. I also hope to do a few autocrosses this upcoming fall season to really get a feel for the car and it's limits. The car has more an enough power for me. I can see possibly some new struts in the future and new springs, but that's about it and only when these wear out. They feel great right now and don't leak. I'm thinking about possibly getting an aftermarket up-pipe only to get rid of the cat in there so it doesn't grenade the new turbo. Oh yeah, fogot to mention, the TD04 was replaced under warranty just before I got it, so that's sticking in there for a long time. Apparently the seals were leaking, which dripped down onto the cat, ruining that. So that was the story behind the Cobb Stage 2 upgrade.

In addition to getting me to work and playing around at autocross, I'd like to take a few small road trips eventually. I've never even been to the beach!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first thing I did was clean the crap out of it as soon as I got it home. Literally, I think I waited about an hour to get lunch, lol. Next, I changed the oil... Rotella T6 5w-40 and a Purolator Synthetic filter. The only thing different about changing the oil from an NA Impreza is the skid plate. Dino oil was used in the car it's entire life.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After driving it around for a week, it was time to swap over everything possible from the Outback. First were the Hankook tires, extended lugs, and RS wheels, which were actually a great color to compliment PSM. I also swapped in my near new Duralast Gold battery since this one was still running the stock battery! The grounding kit and STi radiator cap came with that too.

The next weekend, I sanded down and repained the adjustable swaybar and endlinks and swapped them out. The rust on the Outback was such a hassle to reinstall the WRX swaybar with. The new hardware I bought for the WRX was well worth it. Painted it blue to go along with the Cobb theme.

And finally the third weekend was PVGP 2012, so the car was on display there for the day.

On July 30, 2012, I sold the Outback to some girl from New York. Her boyfriend is from California, so she's driven across the country 14 times. Maybe someone will see Little Red Riding Hood Scoops somewhere... let me know!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About a month after owning it, I knew I had to have the timing belt replaced. I shipped it off to the local performance shop for a weekend and Moore Performance did the belt, waterpump, all pulleys... and the spark plugs while he was in there. I highly recommend this shop if you're local.

The car runs a whole lot smoother. There was this clear whining noise coming from either the accessory pulleys or the timing belt area, but that was fixed with the new parts or from adjusting the accessory belts when putting them back on. Luckily it was nothing more serious like the alternator or A/C compressor going out.

I also added LED dome, map, and license plate bulbs when I got it home. I'm not a big fan of the stock yellow-ish lights.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wants a WRX!!!! Merrrrr. Lucky well i hope you are enjoying it. how much did you sell your wagon for?
$3200. Honestly, it had a lot of problems. Major rust on everything underneath... quarter panels rusted too. Ran great, shifted great. CEL came on anytime there was less than 3/4 in the tank on the highway. A/C didn't work, windows barely worked.

It was time for a new one... lol.

If I ever get a wrx I'd want a limited with a moonroof nice choice. Is it manual? I seem to have a hard time finding wrx limited in standard.
4EATer! All the manuals I found were beat. Many are still out there for 10k+, over 120k, crappy mods. This was is in much better condition. It's cool though, all I've had are 4EATs so far. Rather have a good condition one, than a beat one.

·
Registered
05 wrx, 95 L
432 Posts
4EATer! All the manuals I found were beat. Many are still out there for 10k+, over 120k, crappy mods. This was is in much better condition. It's cool though, all I've had are 4EATs so far. Rather have a good condition one, than a beat one.
Don't know if I could tolerate a 4EAT, but I can definitely understand the beat wrx dilemma. Nearly every one that I've seen in northern PA has been trashed with b/t 120k and 150k on the clock and a price tag of 9k and beyond. Surprisingly, a lot of them sell :crazy:.

Car is super clean. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports
632 Posts
Same with the legacy GTs (05-07 ish) all the manuals i found were shit on i wasnt looking to autocross or anything. Auto pride!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same with the legacy GTs (05-07 ish) all the manuals i found were shit on i wasnt looking to autocross or anything. Auto pride!
Surprisingly, I did find a '05 LGT 5EAT with 100k for $8500. I didn't go look at it, but it looked good. Mostly stock with cross drilled rotors.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm about to place an order with RallySportDirect sometime soon for RallyArmor mudflaps, OEM all weather floor mats........ and best of all!.. license plate frame.

I'm also on the fence about what low beam bulbs to run. At first, it was Narva Range Power all the way... then the Range Power Whites. Then I heard they were completely covered in blue tint, which reduces light output... so those were out. Now Osram Nightbreakers are back in the picture. Decisions decisions. HIDs are out of the question.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the RA mudflaps this past weekend with a friend and took a trip back to where my college is for some fishing. $1.75 Sam Adams Oktoberfest... win.

Also installed the Nightbreakers before that. Good upgrade, but the headlights definitely need aimed correctly. OEM all wather floor mats are in too.

I did some data logging with the AP and noticed DAM was dropping to 11 from the normal 16 you want it to be. Reflashed to 91 oct while running 93 and it got rid of the knock so far. I'm picky, but I'll take 5 less HP for safety. Seems to run smoother now.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Picture update from when I installed the flaps and whatnot:

Anddddd from today:

Car felt good.. it was weird experiencing that lag for the first time... and it's probably not even that bad. Overall, the car probably did better than what the OBS would have done. The braking needs a little work eventually. The tires are still the 205's from the old car and aren't the best for autox. But it is what it is and I had a fun time!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking good with the mudflaps! And the combination of the car color and wheel color really sets off the GC wheels. I remember thegoldenfist was running GC wheels on his GD for a while too.

Thinking about getting some new tires?
Eventually, but not anytime soon. I have a set of '04 WRX wheels (not from this car), painted a real nice, metallic black with Winterforces on them for the snow season.

These Hankooks are GREAT for the street. Comfy ride, great grip, good in the wet. They lack a bit in autox, but are still do-able. I expect to get another summer, possibly two even with autocrossing 4-6 times each year.

Can't beat um for under $100... I think they're down to something like $80 now with a rebate. Best ones I've personally had.

I'd definitely move up to 215's on these wheels. 225's if I had different wheels. The current 205's are a bit small, but still get the job done.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts