Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I heard that for a lot of other cars(DSM's, nissans, etc.) that actually unplugging the sensor where you need the clutch to crank the car puts less stress on the thrust bearing (and therefore less chance for crankwalk!... maybe?). What's your opinion on this? If it's reasonable, how would I manage to do it?

(99 2.5rs if that matters)

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
It's doable just by fooling that sensor. But I wouldn't risk it. Starting the car w/o the clutch if its in gear sucks.

·
Registered
1991 Nissan 300zx TT
46 Posts
i have one car i have clutchless start on and one i dont(yet) i like it just mainly for starting my car in the morning i dont need to get all the way in. never leave my car in gear. as for being good or bad for the car....i dont really seeing it do either.

Seth

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
dunno about the crankwalk, but if you really wanted to have a clutchless start, I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of defeating the switch on the clutch pedal. I believe it's a N/C switch that needs to be bypassed to complete the circuit. But of course the whole point of the clutch pedal is for safety reasons so it's really up to you.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
I did this for my remote start... just need to short the switch.

A better option would be to tap it into the neutral switch in the tranny instead of the clutch switch, so you can start it without touching the clutch, but only when the car is in neutral.

·
Registered
1998 subaru 2.5 rs, black
100 Posts
i think there is a specific sensor on the clutch pedal. meaning it has to be depressed for the car to start. something like that lol.

·
Premium Member
2001 Impreza OBS
2,192 Posts
i have mine done that way. all you have to do is cut the two wires coming off the switch and crimp them together. i enjoy not having to press in the clutch to start the car. lots of times i will just lean in the window and start it. not actually getting it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm liking this neutral switch bypass idea... but won't that make you not need to have it in neutral for it to start, a.k.a. start in any tranny position!? Bad idea, or wrong comprehension? hehe

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I heard that for a lot of other cars(DSM's, nissans, etc.) that actually unplugging the sensor where you need the clutch to crank the car puts less stress on the thrust bearing (and therefore less chance for crankwalk!... maybe?). What's your opinion on this? If it's reasonable, how would I manage to do it?

(99 2.5rs if that matters)

That's funny because mine has the subaru equivalent of crankwalk. You can push my crank forward and backward about 1/8", lol. Its been the same since I bought the block. The previous guy had a stiff clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just remember if your shifter feels weird at all to push the clutch in. I've worked on cars with deleted clutch-safety or none to begin with where the shift linkage got messed up and the owner bashed the car into something <.<

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Don't cut any wires coming off the switch. Unplug the connector on the switch and jump the two wires in the connector that goes to the switch. You should only need two spade connectors and a short section of wire. Cutting the connector off and splicing/crimping the wires will work, but if you want to reverse the procedure you have to find the connector you cut off and splice/crimp it back together & that is hack.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Did it on my car (simply because I didn't wanna hunt through the auto harness when I swapped the MT5 trans in)

Ran a 12 guage wire from the ignition switch to the starter... use a standard spade connector on both ends... problem solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts