Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Blu
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I finished the swap recently and the supposed new Exceedy WRX clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th so I'd like to swap back to my RS trans and rear. I have a 2001 RS with a 2002 WRX EJ20 and currently the WRX drivetrain. I sold my RS engine and stupidly left the flywheel on there so I'm shopping for a lighter flywheel as well. I just wanted to see if anyone has some recommendations on clutch and lightened flywheel combinations. Right now the EJ20 is stock, but I'd like to upgrade the turbo and other components soon and hopefully be in the 250-300hp neighborhood. I've read posts with many recommending the 12lb ACT flywheel, and I had a good experience with a Spec stage 3 clutch in another vehicle in the past, and Spec is recommending to me their stage three or stage 3 +. But, the stage three is $439 and three+ is $589, all before getting a flywheel as well. Whaddya think?

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
If you're using the RS tranny, I believe you can stick with an RS clutch. Exedy Sport would probably be sufficient, though some guys like Garage Tuning/GT Imports say to stick with ACT.

It's all about experience, I guess. I've got an Exedy Sport (or stage I, which to my knowledge is similar in quality to an OEM STi clutch), which has been on the car for 54K miles, now. Works great, love it. A little stiffer than stock, but definitely has been better. Bear in mind that my engine is stock, though. :)

If you're going to the trouble, I'd probably get like a stage II with a swapped car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, does anyone have recommendations for where to buy the clutch and flywheel for a good price?

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS
2,114 Posts
RS trans. RS clutch and flywheel.

We always use ACT here. But if you are worried about breakage of the trans, go with an Exedy. It will slip before the trans breaks ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give the ACT clutch and flywheel combo a try. The ACT price is a little better than SPEC and it seems like it ends up being the ultimate choice of many here.

Thanks again,

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts