Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 01 rs 2.5 just got a clutch master light weight flywheel and an f1 stage 2 clutch the clutch was off ebay. installed everything perfect new pilot and throw out too.I never touched the slave or opened a line.My probelm is i have no pedal you step on it and it get stuk to the floor, then it pops up. i had to be to work at 11 and hod no choice but to drive it and that was a chore. anyone out there got any ideas whats wrong before i take it all apart again im 99.9% sure its all right ive done plenty of clutched before

· Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,506 Posts
it seems the the springs of the pressure plate are engaged half way when driving it. almost like you foot is on the clutch halfway. it slips slightly. is it possible to put a clutch in backwards on these cars? i dont think it is, i just need some positive re-enforcement.

p.s. i helped in the the installation of silver01rs-t's clutch...

· Registered
17,115 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me when I installed my new clutch/flywheel with t3hwit. Pump the pedal yourself several times. Push it to the floor and pull it back up. The resistance should build until its back to normal.

· Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,506 Posts
we drove it around for a while... come to a stop, push pedal down. it would stick temporarily. then it would pop up if you tap it with your foot.

can the clutch disc be put on backwards on an 01 RS?

· Registered
former 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS owner
4 Posts
My car was doing the absolute exact same thing you are describing when I installed a new clutch and lightweight flywheel (Exedy Stage 1 and an ACT lightweight flywheel). Just buy and install a new slave and master cylinder and some new fluid and it will be just like new. I think the increased loads of the new clutch just cause the cylinders to shit out when they're that old.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry trix but i have to correct you the disc is offset on one side and it hits the flywheel if you put it on backwards you cant even get the pressure plate on. But anyway we found the problem it was a broken retaining spring on the back of the clutch fork. The spring holds the fork to a location ball and it was slipping off and getting stuck. Replaced teh spring PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2005 STi Black w/Gold Rims
38 Posts
wow, this site is way better than NASIOC! i mean, more people on here buy F1 Racing clutches and have problems with them. I have the same issure. to make this short, i left a reply in the thread in trans section about F1 Racing clutch started by Darren Warner i beleive the name was. read all about my problem, sounds very similar to yours. it cant be the master, the only thing a master does when it breaks is leak, even if its an internal leak it should ( not positve) leak to the outside. my pedal drops after the pressure point when pushing it down. its a F1 Racing Stage 1. im sooo happy others are having problems with this, did you get yours from Gripforce (Gripfarce)? cus if you did your issue will be #2 that i send to them with my plate for inspecting to prove to them that there are problems with these plates.

· Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
9,088 Posts
F1 is a re-brand of Valeo. The same stuff you get if buying Valeo in the first place, just painted blue. I've noticed this same sort of funky resistance in the pedal throughout the stroke.....I've had a ClutchNet setup that was 10x worse. It was so bad that if I launched the car with really high rpms, the pedal would stay down and then kick my foot as it decided to come up. Zero modulation.....

I can't tell from your description if you're having the typical bleeding problems that happen in any clutch install, or if you're concerned about the way the pedal resistance builds and sorta goes away when it gets to about 1-2" from the floor. The piston on the slave cylinder isn't the most robust thing in the world. Almost every time I do the clutch on the RS, I need to go back through and bleed the system.

As for the slipping....this F1 stg 2 clutch I'm using now, seems a bit weaker than the last one I had (a couple years ago). I don't think they know what the exact parts are when they put a staged kit together. If they do, they certainly don't know how to accurately describe it. I can't go by whatever "% above stock" marketing jumble they dish out. I am at the point in usage where I need clamping force numbers that are used as a standard form of measurement. I like the price, and the fact that they don't actually build the stuff themselves......but I'd much rather peruse their stock myself to build a kit, then let them paint the pressure plate blue.

· Registered
2005 STi Black w/Gold Rims
38 Posts
ha i knew it! they are garbage! i should have never trusted a name i never heard of. they always say listen to your gut and it was telling me i shouldnt be buying that clutch when i ordered it. thanks for the info, next tues or wed ill be installing a new Exedy stock clutch kit. let ya know how it goes and how much better my clutch will feel! right on about the "stage this and stage that" lingo. that is all marketing crap. i laughed when i opened my F1 clutch and the plate was blue but a crappy paint job, there was spots that didnt even have paint on them! why even paint it?? no one ever sees it!! unless the have see through bell housings for the Hot Import Nights lovers!

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
I still haven't installed mine. I've been chatting with gripforce and they keep bringing up the problem that some subarus with hydraulic clutches have, and they've even sent me the bulletins from subaru. I don't think they realize we have all of the resources we need here and on nasioc and that we already know about those issues. They probably think that bulletin is some kind of revelation to me, when I've already read about those issues long ago. I even had to let them know mine is a cable clutch so they won't keep trying to drive their point. I requested they let me return the clutch for credit towards a better setup, or maybe just the oem type exedy. I'm really worried now that the clutch will be a pos, lol. I told them to search "f1 clutch" on this site if they're wondering exactly what I"m talking about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.