Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting a replacement clutch from ACT due to a cracked pressure plate, I'm now getting a similar issue as before, and the clutch pedal is sticking at high RPMs. When they drop to about 4k, the pedal rockets back up. I'm fairly certain there are no hydraulic issues.

My suspicion is either there is a glazed patch on the flywheel, or the disk or throw-out bearing is binding with the input shaft. Would either of these result in the symptoms?

Any way to diagnose without disassembly for the umpteenth time?

·
Registered
54 Posts
my impreza clutch pedal sticks down a bit when i get it really hot in the summer.

my camaro clutch pedal sticks down when the clutch slips really bad from feathering the clutch on a hard takeoff

not sure of the physics causing the issues but thats what my cars do.

are you feathering the clutch on high RMP shifts? or does the pedal just start to sink down when you get high up in the revs?

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,931 Posts
My RS used to have an issue where the rod that comes off the slave cyl and pushes the clutch release fork would slip out of the little bucket it was designed to push up against. It would lead to an unsettling pedal drop. It was an issue that would occur on wet days especially since water would probably get in there help the rod push out of place more easily. A new slave cyl fixed the issue.

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No feathering, really difficult to feather anyways with where the engagement point is.

Being at high RPMs doesn't suck the pedal down, but if you shift at high rpms, or downshift putting you in the 4+ range, the pedal only comes up part way, until the RPMs drop to around 4 at which point, the pedal returns with a thump.

I don't think the slave is the issue, due to the nature of when the issue occurs, but I will consider it as a possibility.

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I drove the car for the first time in awhile today, and this time with sandals.

I can really feel roughness when depressing the clutch pedal.

Is this a bad Throwout bearing?

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes I did, cracked pressure plate from ACT which they would not warranty (second time round, same problem as the first), it cracked the throwout bearing lever, which caused damage to the transmission snout.

The transmission snout damage meant I needed a re-sleeve kit with a custom throwout bearing for smooth articulation. That's how cheaply the RS gearbox is, not steel snout, just aluminum which grooves easily when the fork cracks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts