Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I finished installing my Koni/Gymkhana set up. I took it to Southern Ohio to tune my suspension and beat the crap out of the car. All went well until right before I got home. I crawled over the train tracks and suddenly I had this awful clunking coming from the passenger front.

I jacked the car up when I got home two minutes later. Everything is still tightened down. When installing, I noticed a little slop in the lower ball joint. Figured it was just me being paranoid and continued. Now that I just looked it over again, I can see the ball joint slide back and forth.

I'm 99% positive it's the lower ball joint. What all is involved in replacing this? I'm hoping I can just do this myself but as detailed as possible would be great...

Thank you!

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FSB??? The bolt on the hub that looks like it clamps around the top of the ball joint?

Any brands you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,212 Posts
Yea.

FSB (Front swaybar) simply to loosen it from the lower control arm, so you can easily pull down on it to take out the balljoint.

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,212 Posts
Actually Moog makes some nice replacements to OEM.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent Joshua a PM since he's selling some. Hopefully I can get them before I leave for VA. :)

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
There's also the Whiteline roll-center kit, but then you have to replace your tie-rod ends too..

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
I sent Joshua a PM since he's selling some. Hopefully I can get them before I leave for VA. :)
Leave for VA???

Why not just ship them to whoever you are visiting in VA?

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
There's also the Whiteline roll-center kit, but then you have to replace your tie-rod ends too..
Also it is almost double the price of the ones Josh has listed, if not more.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leave for VA???

Why not just ship them to whoever you are visiting in VA?
I'd like to do them Tues or Weds but probably isn't feasible. I leave Thurs morning. I just don't like having broken things lying around! Plus I really don't like commuting in the Miata lol.

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
I'd like to do them Tues or Weds but probably isn't feasible. I leave Thurs morning. I just don't like having broken things lying around! Plus I really don't like commuting in the Miata lol.
If you want to do them Tuesday or Wednesday, I can get you the part number from Subaru if you like. They should have some in stock.

I know you don't like commuting in the Miata.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to do them Tuesday or Wednesday, I can get you the part number from Subaru if you like. They should have some in stock.

I know you don't like commuting in the Miata.
I ordered Joshua's, but thanks. Should be possible to get them in by tomorrow. We'll see. Thanks anyways! :)

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
It's super easy. Use a ball-joint fork to separate. http://www.alpha-sports.com/tools/06SnowSpecToolsE_img_93.jpg
Is it really this easy? I can't fucking get the ball joint out to save my life. I've been letting it soak in PB Blaster.

*edit* I just read something in another thread. Time to get out my torch.... I can't imagine why I didn't think of that. Normally the first thing I think of it fire or BFH, and the BFH isn't working.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Alright I've tried everything I can fro this thread and this Thread. I've saturated it with PB Blaster, Heated it up the cooled it down repeat, and used the ball joint separator tool. Nothing is working. is it time I threw in the towel and let a mech do it?

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
1,651 Posts
just an fyi to everyone. THEY ARE PRESSED IN. usually you need a press to get the bastards out and put back in. harbor freight sells a press for around a bill

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,918 Posts
just an fyi to everyone. THEY ARE PRESSED IN. usually you need a press to get the bastards out and put back in. harbor freight sells a press for around a bill
They are NOT pressed in. You have to take the pinch bolt out then take a big straight slot screw drive and pound it into the slot in the back and open it. Then put the joint back into the arm with the nut but only finger tight then bang on the control arm down til it pops out.

I made a slide hammer and it is alot easier to do. IIRC it is a 10x1.5mm thread but check to be sure. I took a piece of bar stock and put the 10mm on the one side and 1/2 13 on the other with a big washer. I had a sleeve laying around that was a slip fit over that piece of bar stock. Just be careful and wear gloves because my hand got caught between the hammer and bottom and made one hell of a blood blister.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts